Thread: Insecticides

Hybrid View

Default Insecticides

I live in an area that farming has been in a decline for years, no insecticides hence the bees do well. I ran into a farmer on soybeans yesterday about 3 miles from my hives. He said he was spraying roundup "kills the weeds does not hurt the beans". How much are my bees at risk from roundup

Default Re: Insrcticides

They aren't at risk.

Default Re: Insecticides

There is most certainly a risk. Your adult bees may not be killed but more studies are showing that pesticides do kill or damage the larvae and baby bees.

Eric Mussen, Ph.D., Entomologist and Extension Apiculturist, University of California, Davis, California: "If you have something like a fungicide, which does not hurt an adult bee when it's sprayed in the field, then they (EPA) think it's just safe for honey bees. And in some cases, that has not been the truth.
    Not too long ago, I ran some experiments in the (UC-Davis) lab and found that two of the fungicides that are commonly used out here for controlling diseases on the almond trees, if you get too much of it into the laval food of honey bees, it killed the larvae.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT CURRENTLY THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY HAS TESTING REGULATIONS THAT ARE APPLIED TO THE ADULT HONEY BEE, BUT YOU ARE FINDING THAT THOSE LEVELS (OF FUNGICIDE) THAT EPA ACCEPTS ARE KILLING THE BROOD AND THE YOUNG BEES.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Roundup is actually an herbicide. It's entirely possible that there is SOME effect in large doses over time, but I don't think I've seen anything to indicate you should try to get notifications and screen in the bees on application days etc.

Another question (just to stir the pot, no one's demonstrated this either way yet) is how your bees foraging on GMO beans might affect their health long-term (the beans have been modified to be able to withstand the herbicide, while the weeds, not similarly immune, die).
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

it wont hurt them i spray it on some of my summer honey yards to keep the weeds down if the yard owners dont mind

There are many studies out there that show that both herbicides along with pesticides DO affect your bees. Do a little research.

"One thing is clear: insecticides and herbicides are having a disastrous effect on both managed and wild bee populations. "

Taken from this article, which is just one when I searched for info under this topic.

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/phot...06/week_78.htm
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne