Default Combine or not to combine

I split a strong hive on June 5 because it looked like it was going to swarm. The queenless hive has yet to produce a laying queen. I have added a frame of eggs, larvae, and brood twice. The queen right hive is weak. The hive has 2 deeps, but the bees haven't expanded into the top box at all. My thought at this point is that I would combine the 2 hives back into 1. How would I go about this?

Default Re: Combine or not to combine

place a piece of newspaper between them with small slits cut into the paper. They will chew their way through and by that time they should be good to go. I would double and triple check you do not have a virgin queen first....

Thanks for the reply. I have checked for evidence of a laying queen twice. I plan on checking a 3rd time tomorrow morning before I combine the two hives. How large should the slits in the newspaper be?

no more than an inch. When i combines 2 swarms with my package on June 3rd, I just sprayed everyone with sugar water. It worked just fine because everyone was cleaning everyone else....The swarms were very small at that point because they were 35 days old....