Thread: race test

Default race test

Is there a test that can be done by a lab (e.g. Beltsville) that can determine what race (genetics) of bee I have? I am in interested in the percentage Karnica (Carniolan) and Caucasica (Russian).

Thanks

I've read all I can about bee races in a few books, on bushfarms.com, and to some extent on beesource - didn't see anything on this.

Default Re: race test

Ask Mike Bispham on this site. He would probably know.

We have had Caucasian bees in this country long before we ever had what are called Russians. Are they the same? Are all Russians Caucasians, but not all Caucasians Russian?

I would think that genetic testing would be really expensive. That's the excuse that I hear when I have heard people ask why testing agencies can't tell us whether we have nosema apis or nosema cerana.

Where did you get your queens? Maybe the person you bought them from can tell you about their queen rearing program and the lineage. Would that satisfy your curiousity?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I sent an email to the Beltsville Lab. They just tested some bees for nosema....by the by it is a free service.

The thing is, there is no clear cut line between races. Just a continuum of characteristics. So you can measure wing venation morphometrics but not % of Carniolan heritage. But I am also a dinosaur so the whiz kids maybe can show DNA links? Race is a very slippery concept.

why do you want to know?? just curious or????

I am also wondering, if you sent some to be tested would it be valuable?? (not sarcasm) My understanding is that the queen is what ever she is but the workers would be 1/2 her and half whichever drone she was with. assuming the average of 10 mates would the possible 10 male donors screw up the testing?? they would assumably all be from different hives themselves.... so given that what would the testing tell you? and what could you do with it??

Quote Originally Posted by thelorax View Post
    I sent an email to the Beltsville Lab. They just tested some bees for nosema....by the by it is a free service.
    Yeah, but did they tell you whether they were apis or cerana? It makes a difference for treatment.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yeah, but did they tell you whether they were apis or cerana? It makes a difference for treatment.
    No nosema whatsoever found