Default Destruction in the bee yard...

I woke up this morning, poured my normal cup of coffee, and went to check the bees. The hives were knocked over and strewn about the yard. The poor bees were madder than heck. Nothing was destroyed...so I'm thinking it was a bear that was spooked before it could get to work. Bear season is coming up shortly and the hunters are already running their dogs to get them pumped for hunting, so I think this bear wanted to get away from the ruckus and wandered into my yard for some easy food. Crappy for the bees. Crappy way for a beekeeper to start her morning.

Default Re: Destruction in the bee yard...

I'm sorry. I always feel vulnerable myself, I'm afraid of neighborhood kids getting into mischief in my suburban yard with my top bar hive. I certainly don't want anyone to get hurt, or even spoil it for the bees.
    Have you set everything straight again? I would think that you would be afraid they'll be back?
    Carrie

Grab a gun or put up a really good electric fence

They will be back tonight. That is typical MO knock it over scatter and return.
    Can be a problem. Best to remove now.

Everything is back together. The bees are slightly traumatized and acting strange, but I would be, too. I moved one of the hives this evening and need to make a couple of repairs on the other before I move it, but I think tomorrow night shouldn't be a problem. I really, really hope there aren't any critters around tonight...we'll see.

Lots of threads about bears...
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218327

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231480

Get a fence up. If it's not working, figure out why and get it functional.
    "burr comb happens..."

I am sorry about your damages to your bee yard. I just went through something much like that myself...I had a tornado hit my bee yard...actually it went over my house in the process. I had hives toubled all over the place.

I hope that your bees calm down and bounce back well. I was worried about my bees after the storm hit, but they are now making a great comeback. They have been dealing with bears and storms for millions of years, so they know what to do when we do not.

I am with the idea that the bear(s) will be back tonight or in the next few days. If it is a sow with cubs, she might be using your hives for a teaching aid. I have seen them appear in the bee yards during the daylight hours when they have cubs. I think the bears know that there are less bees around in the daytime and come to rob the hives when the foragers are out. (Ok, I know what you are thinking.....I might live in Illinois now, but I have lived next door to bears for many many years.)

Electric fencing makes good neighbors when dealing with bears; barbed wire with a charge behind it works better, as it gets in through the heavy coats of the bears.

Good Luck!

Brenda