Default Hive Entrance Size

How big does a standard hive opening measure? Is it 3/8 inch? My SBB has about a 3/4" rail on both sides. This seems too big because I'm getting what looks like a lot of comb extending off the bottom of the frames.

Default Re: Hive Entrance Size

3/4" entrances are common - I think that is "standard". Sometimes they will build bur comb to fill in the bee space violation. It isn't a big deal. When/if you reverse boxes, just scrape it off.

I have made some SBB's with 5/8" or 1/2" entrances. When the entrances get this small, I use different lengths of square stock wood for entrance reducers rather try to notch the reducers.

My SBB has about a 3/4" rail on both sides.
    it's designed so that the natural dropping of the mites will stick to the sticky board.
    And yes, some people can put one in upside down. and the bees may build natural comb.
    if you give the bees plenty of comb space they should not build comb onto the bottom bars.
    Enie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

OK. I guess I could remove the hanging comb. It just seems when I peek in there I see a heck of a lot of bees under the frames. I did add a second deep 2 weeks ago because the bottom was filling. This is from an 8-inch diameter swarm I hived on March 4. Now the second deep is half full.

Is this hanging comb likely to have brood in it?
    Last edited by yblocker; 07-10-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yblocker View Post
    This seems too big because I'm getting what looks like a lot of comb extending off the bottom of the frames.
    Some people use a slatted rack and that is one of the advantages of it. It's like an extension of the bottom frames. Primarily it gives the workers a place to hang out under the bottom frames. I never have used them. Seem superfluous to me.

I cut my sbb down to 3/8" I was told that the entrances were 3/4" originally for ventilation. I make my sbb so my sticky boards will slide underneath them. It makes them easier for the bees to defend.

3/4" is fine. Don't worry too much about the bridge comb. The bees will use it to come and go out of the hive. You can scrap it off at the end of the season.

if you use front feeders you will need the 3/4 front opening

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just let it be then. I was toying with the idea of cutting the rail down, since I thought 3/4 inch was too big. I first started thinking this when I bought a plastic front mount feeder that needed a shim to help it fit snugly in the space. Then I saw the comb under there and was worried that they would bridge the whole mess together at the bottom making the frames hard to remove one at a time. Do they typically lay eggs in this hanging comb?