Default Central New York Weather.....

Hey there New York Beeks! How 'bout that weather!?

Stats so far for
    2009; 90 Degree Days-0 Days With Rain-55% Days Above 80-15%
    Norm; 90 Degree Days-8 Days With Rain-36% Days Above 80-50%

We have until Labor Day (7 weeks) to pull this year out....

That being said, where's everyone at so far this year with honey production and, given your record keeping, have you experienced a weather pattern similar to this and still managed to pull a decent crop given a late turn around?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed here in Syracuse that the girls can manage to put something up during the end of July and August. C'mon Knappweed and clover....!!!!!

What are you seeing?

Thanks for sharing! Eamon

Default Re: Central New York Weather.....

One good thing about this weather is that i still have queens to use, (thanks, Mike) and they aren't making alot of honey anyhow so it doesn't hurt too much to take a couple of frames of brood from the strong colonies.

Bees made honey yesterday and today. Don't let the weather get you down. There is still plenty of time for a good crop yield this year.

Eamon, going to the meeting on July 26th?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I have just one hive (new beek) and only have the sugar water inspired honey around my brood. Put on a medium super and waiting for comb and then some honey ????????????????

Nancy
    Ovid, NY (Between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes )

They were doing great up until the rain started. It has rained 23 out of the last 30 days. Things are blooming just give us some dry weather.

My sister lives in Chittenango !

What effect does the rain have on honey production ? I see the bees going in and out, but they seem to be busy raising kids.

Nancy
    Ovid, NY

My sister lives in Chittenango !

What effect does the rain have on honey production ? I see the bees going in and out, but they seem to be busy raising kids.

Nancy
    Ovid, NY

my partner is 73 and has had bees for 40 years, says its the worst year ever, when not raining, its cold, I still haven't stoped wearing my flannel shirts in the A.M. I needed more honey supers this year, so made up 50 with foundation, was worried I wouldn't have enough, half are sitting in my garage the rest are on the hives but only mayby 20 have been drawn, none are capped. But it has been a wonderful year for raising queens in 5 frame nucs, none have swarmed because of no flows and some may starve if we don't get a flow!!! I went into the year with 50% of the queens being new, luckily they have shut down some or else they would all be in the trees, but it did make it to 73 degrees this afternoon with no rain for one day. I read in the paper it's colder due to no sun spots for the last 10 months, mayby we are going into a global cooling period, sure would upset a lot of people.

mike

Nancy, They don't fly well in the rain, the nectar gets diluted, the high humidity slows evaporation in the hive. This much constant rain just sets them back.

Hey Ken-
    I agree- The spring was great and I spilt and built up and then slammed on the breaks......Where in Chittenango are you? I sucked a swarm out of a homes siding Tuesday on the corner of Tag and Lakeport Rd. Itty bitty bees.....care to claim them?

Hey Sqkcrk-EAS or Mid York Club? Amie and I really want to go to EAS, but time may be an issue. 1 week of vaca this year with the new job, so we have to pick and choose.....

Wildbranch-And if it hasn't been raining or cold it's been WINDY! As an aside, I got a call yesterday for a cut-out in Navarino. Not my forte.....interested?

Eamon

"Lost my shoes in transit baby, a pile of smoking leather...nailed a re-tread to my feet, and prayed for better weather!"

Not EAS or Mid-York, but Empire State Honey Producers Association Summer Picnic on the 25th (not the 26th as i said). Check out eshpa.org for more info.

I don't know if this is the worst year yet, I'm only 56 years old, but last year was similar w/ 6 weeks of rain every 2nd or 3rd day. My production for the year was way down to about 45 pounds per colony. I hope this year is better.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Hey, I'll take some of those free-bees ?????????

Nancy
    Ovid, NY

Quote Originally Posted by chefbeek View Post
    Hey Ken-
    Wildbranch-And if it hasn't been raining or cold it's been WINDY! As an aside, I got a call yesterday for a cut-out in Navarino. Not my forte.....interested?

Eamon
    sorry never done a cut-out, I've worked real hard to not get my name on any lists, its alot less work to make my own and i know what I've got. as my partner says quote I start at $800 for a cut out because I really don't want to do them. two days without rain and actually got into the 80's, felt kind of strange to sweat in a bee suit.

mike

Weather is something last couple of days 50 's in the morning 70 at lunch rain for supper back to the 50's. I got 4 Dan Purvis queens made some splits requeened 1 hive. This will be a good test for his bees. If they just live I will be ordering more for next spring. Most of the time we have wind here but a little weather above 70 would be great. I am luck 6 miles from where I live a local has honey and it is gooood.Come on warm weather!!!! Good luck Tony

hi all
    i'm in rochester my girls are going a bit slower than last year. mostly my falt I think. all the brood boxes are HEAVY with honey . I haven't had time to extract . The honey supers are about where they were last year. Withe the caviat that 2 newish hives they were cutouts late last summer that overwintered don't want to have anything to do with the honey supers they are great at making bees though.

cutouts are best done as a team sport you can learn a lot about what the girls do when they are unsupervised. it can be a fun if messy way to spend a saterday with some friends. I avoid the ones where the landowner wants things put back as I usually do it for free.

mike