Default Bees not flying, still takes getting used to

We've spent the week pulling honey in the Imperial Valley. If we're lucky we'll be done Friday. (writing from the motel room)

After lunch today, about 2:00 pm, we pulled into an apiary with 128 colonies. There was not a single bee in the air. It was 110 degrees, 20% humidity. While I know that the girls won't fly when it gets this hot, they are busy fanning the hive, it's still kind of eerie.

After we started with the fume boards a few would take flight, but they would just land on me and hang out, maybe crawling around a little. Sometimes 10-20 on me at a time but not a single sting. Even when I brushed them off they were reluctant to take flight. They weren't aggressive at all, they seemed kinda confused by the whole thing. They didn't even react when I was pouring ice water over my head.
    KI6FCI

Default Re: Bees not flying, still takes getting used to

Wow and I feel sorry for John when he has to pull honey in 80 degrees. But at least yours is a dry heat.

What sort of honey are you harvesting? And where to with the bees next?
    Hopefully somewhere a little cooler? Or do you stay put and feed?
    Sheri

Default Re: Bees not flying, still takes getting used to

They're out there for the alfalfa seed crop. After the hottest part of the summer we'll bring them back to San Diego County and store them in the avocado, pomegranate, persimmon & citrus ranches (no money involved) to build them up for the almonds.
    KI6FCI