Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Bear

Default Problem Bear

How do you get rid of a bear(without evidence). He is going through my electric fence! Can I put poison in the bait someone put 200 yds from my bees. He plans on shooting it this fall but since he was so disrespectful and put the bait by my bees I thought it is only fair that I get the bear first. I would use my hounds and rifle but my loud mouth blueticks would draw to much attention.

Default Re: Problem Bear

Did you contact the DNR? They will trap it and move it up north to be some other beeks problem, just tell them to not bring him our way!

We had a bear like that a few years back and John put up 4 wires and put a HOT charger on it (Parmac); stopped the trouble making.

I wouldn't consider poisoning the bear bait, if you didn't kill him that might be one dangerous animal.
    Sheri
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 07-08-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Add a chicken wire 2nd ground mat around your perimeter. ( flat of course)
    keep your grounding rod watered
    The old ABC and XYZ book explains how to hook up the 2nd ground.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

On my bear fences, I start with 4 foot cheap hog wire. I cut 1 foot off for a ground plain. I use T-posts with 2 inch black ABS pipe over the posts for insulation. The corner posts have guide wires and the hog wire is streched tight all the way around. The 1 foot wide ground plain is staked solid to the ground. With a Mann Lake charger, even cooler trained park bears won't get through this set up.
    Last edited by jjgbee; 07-06-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: add

I just posted this not long ago. Gives pics, plan and materials list on a good bear fence. Since we started building um this way no bear has gotten in.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231480

I like Tom's Alka Seltzer quick fix also. That Tom...he's a sneaky one.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Cool Re: Problem Bear

A good ground is key with an electric fence. Having a piece of metal at each end of the bear is my goal.

An electrical schematic would show current flowing from the fence, to the piece of bacon hanging on it, to the bears tongue, through the bear, to the bear's foot to the large piece of grounded piece of chicken wire (on the ground right under the bacon). Galvanized wire conducts better than dirt, so there's a bigger zap from fence to ground if the bear is standing on a piece of chicken wire hooked to the ground terminal.

(What's the symbol for bacon in an electrical schematic, though? )

Yes, you can kill that bear, but another bear will take his place. I have hunted bear over bait in Canada, and we have taken 3 large bears off the same bait the same week. I was told by the guide that the big bears that "own' the bait will sleep within 75-100 yards of the bait given cover and water. This may be a satellite bear that sneaks in and gets a snack when big boy is not looking. I would say a bear fence is your best bet for long term relief. Also, you can bet there will be a problem with the state for poisoning game animals. In Missouri you can remove animals that are causing damage; you will have to check the laws in Wisconsin.
    I would have a solid bear fence up before the fall, an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure... you just can't kill them all, it is The Great White North... Ae!!!

Check that ground rod. If it is rebar, pull it out and get a proper ground. Set that ground rod in the ground at least 5 feet if you can. Hammer, pound, loader...what ever you have to do. Then buy yourself a volt meter for your fence and fencer. They are not alot of money, ($12.00 for a light up one and $65 for a digital read out one..nothing fancy) and worth the investment if you have a fence. Get the cranks up to 5000v. This is why you need a tester. No bear will touch it then. If it is less than 5000 you have a problem because a bear will continue to test the fence until he gets use to the charge.
    Finally, what are your posts...fibre glass...wood...treated wood. Fibre glass no problem. If you are using wood or treated wood you need insulators and you will notice the difference on the cranks. Treated posts are treated with copper sulfate...copper something. When the current goes through the wire and not insulated, the copper ends up funneling some of the current into the ground.
    Nine times out of ten, fence problems are ground related.
    We have bears. Lots of bears. Test your fencer to just incase it is not putting out the juice.

Come and hunt on our land...lots of bears..easy picking
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 07-08-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: unnecessary quote

I would love to come up there for a spring hunt. I have a hard enough time trying to find time away from the bees though. When the season is over(honey extracting) it's nothing but bucks and coyotes for me here.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 07-08-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quoting

[QUOTE=pchelovod;442614]A good ground is key with an electric fence. Having a piece of metal at each end of the bear is my goal.QUOTE]

On that same note, I have heard that running a ground wire between the hot wires is more effective. Otherwise, if the ground is really dry, they may not get a good shock.

Default Re: Problem Bear/My Fence

I have a Zareba 6 v. energizer(solar w/ bat.), fiberglass posts, yellow tape wire and a 6' ground rod( in 5'). There are three rows of wire starting 9" from ground and spaced 12" apart. The middle wire is also connected to the ground. I tested it after installing it and it was 5,000 v.. It still tested the same when I checked it after the bear went through. I didn't have the fence baited but I don't think he/she will be back. I'm pretty sure it got the *#@! shocked out of it when it was trying to escape from inside the fence. The fence was still up but some of the posts were leaning outward.

Please restrict your posts to legal activities. Those of you suggesting and joking about cruel and inhumane methods of dealing with problem bears, would you feel responsible if that suffering, dying bear attacked someone out hiking? There is no justification for torturing animals.
    Sheri

Sheri:

You are advocating lead poisoning out of season? Isn't that illegal? What about a wounded bear on the trail with your hiker? Shooting often doesn't kill. Cruel & inhumane?

I was not advocating out of season shooting but legal hunting, nevertheless you will see I previously deleted my own post as well just to avoid confusion.
    Those who choose to shoot problem bears should of course be very careful to have a clean kill for the reason you state.
    Some states allow people having problems with bears or other animals to deal with those problems in various manners. Individuals should contact their local DNR or State wildlife authorities to find the methods allowable to eliminate problems or other recourse available.
    Sheri

Discuss issues of moderation OFF FORUM with the moderator.
    Regards, Barry

We have a fall bear hunt here in MB as well as a spring hunt

Default Re: Problem Bear/My Fence

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    There are three rows of wire starting 9" from ground and spaced 12" apart. The middle wire is also connected to the ground. I tested it after installing it and it was 5,000 v.. It still tested the same when I checked it after the bear went through.
    Hubby says...and he builds miles and miles of fence for cows and bees...go one row higher for the wire...or maybe two spaced 6" apart. He does not understand why you have the middle wire attached to the ground but if it is cranking out 5000v on each row of wire....? Hubby thinks your fence might not be high enough especially if it is a big bear. He says close to if not more than 4 feet high.

Hubby says that if a bear is tall enough he will go over a low fence. Get it higher

Maybe a critter gitter in addition to the fence?

http://crittergittersensor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    Individuals should contact their local DNR or State wildlife authorities to find the methods allowable to eliminate problems or other recourse available.
    Sheri
    Sheri I have contacted N.Y.S DEC and tried to work with them, and all I got was some smart #@# DEC officer that told me he could not arrest the bear....all my fences are 6 wire with Par-mack chargers , I have done my part to try to educate the rouge bear but when it comes to the one that wont learn then you do what you half to to stay in business N.Y. DEC has been no frend of mine they dont and wont help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast