Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neighbor Issues

Default Re: Neighbor Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    With 36 acres it is entirely unreasonable for anyone to expect you to get rid of bees, no matter what the fears.
    I agree. A house in town maybe, but if you cannot use your acreage to your liking then what is the point of owning it? Because someone has a pathological fear of something does not mean you must stop living your life and pursuing happiness. I would not be rude but in the end I would ask her what if anything you can do other than remove your bees from your property. Then do so. This person is not likely to be satisfied. I once had to tell one of my neighbors "You stay on your 4 acres and Ill stay on my 400 acres and we will both do fine." If this person has a boni-fide allergy you might find out when her treatment will be concluded and move them to an outyard until then. Past that you are just going to have to deal with a neighbor that is in your business. My 2 cents

Thank goodness we have not run into this problem yet. I am suprized how some folks react to bees in a negative sense (angry, stinging, killer bees). My tenant is terrified of our bees and told me the other day he would have liked to have taken the row marker on his soybean drill and knock every hive off and kill those awful bees (he was just kidding). I asked him if they had stung him or were they causing him problems he just said no but he wouldn't have any of those dangerous things in his yard. As far as your neighbor is concerned do unto others as you would have them do unto you...thats my motto. If it were me I'd assure her that I planned to reduce the numbers when fall arrived and move part or the majority of them to the orchard out of her view. You could do it when winterizing and removing supers. I'd also give her a quart of honey and tell her some folks believe a teaspoon of honey daily is good for your health and might be beneficial to her alergy. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Tim

>>>As an aside, someone made the comment that communication makes for good neighbors... I disagree. I don't want my neighbors talking to me, coming over, or borrowing anything. I wave. They wave. We watch each other's houses for burglary and fire. That's it. THAT'S a good neighbor in my opinion! <<<

That is just exactly how I feel and operate around here, I only have a few people I socialize with and if they need help I drop what I am doing and go, they will do the same for me also.

I still say the blog will get you out of it also, just have to be a bigger whiney bleeding heart than she is.

G3

i have 10 hives and my neighbors love them to death - they are finally getting fruit after 10 YEARS - and as for the worry of swarms - good god - i have a story for you

like i said i have 10 hives and last on the 5th of july i found a HUGE swarm on one of my fence posts - only 20 feet from my boxes - i was worried that my bees had swarmed - after catching the swarm and setting up there new home i inspected my hives to find that they were not my bees at all -

there are no hives in a 5 mile area of my house - so they must be wild bees
    but the point of the sorry is - bees are bees and bees go where bees want to go - with or without our help

I love that last comment !!!!!!!!!!! But that is about as factual as all the scare stories people believe about bees.

Funny.

Nancy
    Ovid, NY

I wish it was fake but i cant make up it - i took pictures and video of it -
    and also if i was to make up something fake it would be like .... i woke up one morning to find big foot tending my hives ..... and the camera broke.....

I haven't told my neighbor about my bees. I figure since he may be in the illegal pharmaceutical business, he has more that he should worry about instead of my bees.

Nancy
    Ovid, NY

haha - yeah thats a little more to worry about -
    if your bees start to glow at night - you might have a problem -

yeah - im a big fan of out of site out of mind -

im just glad that my neighbors are understand -- and i just let them know that if a swarm shows up - ill come and get it -

As an aside, someone made the comment that communication makes for good neighbors... I disagree. I don't want my neighbors talking to me, coming over, or borrowing anything. I wave. They wave. We watch each other's houses for burglary and fire. That's it. THAT'S a good neighbor in my opinion!

That sounds like the kind of neighbors my grandparents used to have. When Grandma and Grandpa drove going somewhere, the neighbors would wave as they went by...and then break into their house. The guy knew how to pick locks.

Remind your neighbor that you both live on farms. And both of you have livestock. Yours just happens to be bees.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123