Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem Bear

Re: Problem Bear

Please try our advice on the dual ground!
    It works and is cost effective.
    You could get a copper clad gronding rod. But, they are expensive.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default Re: Problem Bear

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...7/untitled.jpg
    I was going to use something like this, Im just not sure if the DNR would approve.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 07-08-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: max image size 640x480

At Home Depot the copper clad rods are $9.97 for 1/2" and 10.97 for 5/8". Not very expensive when you're talking about keeping Mr. Bruin from destroying 100's to 1000's of bucks worth of beehives.

People....don't overthink the bear problem. Use 8 foot ground rods,
    8 feet apart from a corner, near your power fencer....that means three....lay two to three feet of chicken wire on the ground (flat) around your fence attached to your ground plane. Now....bacon on the wires....this is the MAIN ingredient...you know..pig too tongue....you need to hit the bear with NO fur.....oh...no close by trees...they think they can fly...

John

I gotta say; for all the bees I've lost to bears, and I have lost hundreds, I have to smile a little when thinking about the scene. Hard to imagine any other "natural" food source as rich as brood honey and pollen. They will learn all kinds of tricks and make great efforts to get in. Often wished I had a video of the action.

You got that right, Tom.
    We had a bear once that wore a path around the entire yard; wore the grass down to bare dirt. He wouldn't go through the fence but finally figured he could dig under it. He dug out a steel corner post, digging a hole 4' deep x 6' x 6'. When the post finally went down he got in. After all that scheming and effort he knocked over one hive and high tailed it, found the honey not worth the effort and stings I guess. I felt a little insulted, truth be told. We never saw him again..
    Sheri

Thanks for all the input. No more is needed.

Have you ever seen one hive left in a yard and wondered why the beekeeper did that? Does it make you want to take a look inside? This will raise your hair. About 1985, I bought out a 90 yr old beekeeper. He was also an eastern sierra hard rock miner. His way of getting rid of problem bears was to move all the hives and leave one behind with a quarter stick of dynamit and a quick fuse under the lid. Yikes! Times were simpler in his days.

When those powder monkeys smoke cigarettes it kind of skews their thinking and gives them a headache too.

Quote Originally Posted by jjgbee View Post
    About 1985, I bought out a 90 yr old beekeeper. He was also an eastern sierra hard rock miner. His way of getting rid of problem bears was to move all the hives and leave one behind with a quarter stick of dynamit and a quick fuse under the lid. Yikes! Times were simpler in his days.
    Now that is funny. lol My kids made a sparkler bomb last 4th. They lit it inside of an old mail box we had in the back yard (my yard is 5 acres) and it was really dark. You saw a lit fuse and heard one of the boys yell "oh &^%$ I am not running fast enough!". Kind of scary that we allowed them to get that carried away (it was dark we did not see it). He is now an army ranger blowing things up for real in <Classified>.

Lasso.
    What is the term lasso?
    Just curious.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12