Thread: Honey Supers

Default Honey Supers

I have a hive going on it's second year. Seems to be doing well. Added a honey super with a queen excluder about 3 weeks ago. The frames are drawn out and plenty of bees up there, but none of them have anything in them yet - is this normal? thanks!

Default Re: Honey Supers

It is normal if the flow isn't strong enough (or there are not enough foragers) for them to raise new bees and put away a surplus at the same time.

about a month later - checked yesterday still nothing in the frames - just drawn out. there seems to be plenty of bees and lots of foraging activities. I have a queen excluder on - do you think I should remove that? I'm in the northeast. Rainy spring - warming up now and some sun. Could that have affected them? Should I just let it be and wait it out? I also have another hive that I started this year. Very slow start - small hive. I am still feeding them thinking they need the help - is that ok? thanks for any help - second year and i still feel lost........

If you are feeding the weak hive and they are taking the feed, I suspect that you don't have a flow going. When beekeepers talk about a honey flow, we normally mean the time when there is enough nectar to allow a surplus. For me, there is always something blooming that they can get something from but June and July are the only months that we have a "flow".

When our flow starts my bees won't take feed anymore. You will always see foraging bees on a nice day regardless of whether there is a flow. You can pull the excluder if you want. If they start bringing in excess nectar you can decide if you want to put it back or not. It sounds like people that live where there are summer/fall flows don't need them. I always had a mess if I didn't use them.

Normally what I see is they will first fill the outside two frames in the top box during the start of the flow. You can see white wax on the top edges of those frames without having to pull them out.

When those are full they start through the excluder (assuming I don't have just foundation up there) and can fill a drawn super in a week and a half if the hive is strong and the weather cooperates. No matter how good your flow is weather can kill any surplus that you would get.

Thanks for the input!