Question Update on 2 tree trapouts - need advice

Last week I took a frame of brood/eggs to both trapouts. Went back this morning.

Trapout 1: To my dismay they had finally found a way back in the tree and were taking in pollen. Hopefully sealed off area under screened wire at the ground where they found a way in. Used large graval and the covered with small gravel to close up any crevices between the gravel. Check the hive. Very little bees in hive. Fair amount of SHBs. Bees have abandoned the brood and robbed the honey that was in the corners of the frame. I thought bees would not abandon brood!!! What now other than waiting to see if the bees start coming back in the hive. I have been trapping this tree for around 4 weeks.

Trapout 2: Bees no longer are getting back into the tree since I extended/modified the trap I borrowed. Using a 5-frame nuc. Bottom is a medium and the top box is a high body. Good amount of bees in the top and putting in some pollen and perhaps a little honey. Bottom box (Med) is packed with bees!! Most of these frames had comb when I put them in the med box. Some pollen and honey and maybe a little capped honey. Brood frame is capped solid and there must be around 5 Q cells. Should I be concerned about so many Q cells??? Even though the med box is packed with bees most frames are empty of any pollen or honey.

BTW, the bees in Trapout 2 are extremely hot. They will attack if you stand around the tree too long. They don't mind stinging and will chase you for quite some time before giving up. Sometimes I will have one that will not give up. I know I can't do anything about that until I have completely trapped out the tree and retrived the honey. Once I move the hive to it's permanent location I can requeen.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Default Re: Update on 2 tree trapouts - need advice

Could it be possible they are hot because they're queenless right now and when one of those cells emerges they'll calm down?

That makes sense.
    De Colores,
    Ken

trap out 1, they abandoned the brood, because they did not consider it theirs. they robbed out any honey and took it back to their hive. (that they had found a way into)

If it has shb in it, I would bring a new frame (nuc) that isn't infested, and try that way.

trap out 2 the first queen that imerges will most likely kill the remaining cells.
    Charla Hinkle