Default How to cover hive-Mosquito control spraying

Hello,

I am hoping someone out there has had this issue. We received a call from mosquito control saying that they will be overhead spraying tomorrow morning and should protect our bees. It sounds like it's a light mist that will be sprayed and it will not hang around long.

I am thinking if we close up the hive with duct tape over the entrance and put the plastic board under the screened bottom board that this should protect them pretty well, but I'm not confident. Should I also cover the hives with a tarp or blanket as well?

They are starting at 5:30 am but are unsure of when they will be done. I am a bit concerned about temperatures-they will start out around the upper seventies but then rapidly climb up to the mid 80's by 9 am. Humidity should be around 90%.

Thanks!
    "Life is like riding a bike. It is impossible to maintain your balance while standing still."...Linda Brakeall

Default Re: How to cover hive-Mosquito control spraying

That's tough. Best thing is to remove them. Remember that bees will overheat and suffocate without adequate ventilation. Get an empty bee box and staple hardware cloth on top so they can cluster there. I wouldn't close off SBB. Consider a number of wet sponges or a feeder full of water.

Tom,

Yes, I am concerned about the heat factor. Hopefully they will be done spraying by 8 or 9 am, but we won't know until we hear them flying overhead.

Ok...so I'll forget closing the bottom screen ....should I place a sheet or blanket over the hives when it is closed off or will that make things worse?

You said: Get an empty bee box and staple hardware cloth on top so they can cluster there

Can you clarify that as I don't have any idea what that means. Do you mean place the bees in there? Add the box to the top of the hive? I'm totally lost. Note: Removing them isn't an option as we don't really have anywhere to take them and the hives are getting pretty cumbersome as I can't even see into the top of one of them.
    "Life is like riding a bike. It is impossible to maintain your balance while standing still."...Linda Brakeall

If you can obtain an empty bee box that will be easiest. If not any "rim" the same dimensions will work. The bigger the better. Get the largest mesh screen that will contain bees. Take the cover off your colony and simply place this on the uppermost super. put a couple slats or something on top of the screen, then cover. That way there is plenty air flow but also shaded or dark. Do not cover with plastic or tarp or even sheet as there won't be enough air for cooling themselves. If you hear them beginning to roar, they are overheating. Close any entrances, but with screen that allows air to pass.

Also, if you don't do anything at all it probably won't be as bad as you imagine. You can kill the colony completely by suffocation.

get them out if u can or try takling w the driver I did and a $20.00 he was out of there

Quote Originally Posted by turboterry544 View Post
    get them out if u can or try takling w the driver I did and a $20.00 he was out of there
    Wish I could buy off the driver...but he'll be in a helicopter and I don't have that loud a voice

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    If you can obtain an empty bee box that will be easiest. If not any "rim" the same dimensions will work. The bigger the better. Get the largest mesh screen that will contain bees. Take the cover off your colony and simply place this on the uppermost super. put a couple slats or something on top of the screen, then cover. That way there is plenty air flow but also shaded or dark. Do not cover with plastic or tarp or even sheet as there won't be enough air for cooling themselves. If you hear them beginning to roar, they are overheating. Close any entrances, but with screen that allows air to pass.
    I think I understand now...we actually have an empty deep that we can put on top and I'm sure we have screens and wood since my husband is a contractor he always has stuff around. Now if I can just figure out how to go at this in the middle of the night without getting stung. I had thought that after dinner would be a fine time...well, until I realized my girls would be out foraging for a few more hours.

i had the same concern. theey were spraying to ocntrol west nile virus. here in cali they start way late/early 12pm or 2am. my hives are under trees and i doubt they flew right over my house. I just grit my teeth and hoped it would take out the porch go'ers (bearding). next morning, nothing the late night porch bees still there and no sad little pile of dead bees. however i am not sure how close they are going to buzz your place and you got some sort of warning.

They posted a notice in the paper here with a number and email address. I contacted them to find out the spray schedule and after an in-depth conversation with the agent found out the spray is a growth inhibitor specific to mosquitos. They have sprayed by air twice and have had no effect on my hives. Of course you may have a different spray. Good luck.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help last night. My husband and I decided to tackle the issue early this morning since heat was such a big factor. I had assumed (key word) that by really early in the morning all the bearding would be gone and I could just close the front entrance to keep my girls inside....nope, the bearding was as bad as it is in the early evening. So we decided that we would just drape a sheet around both hives and pray for the best.

Just before six am the helicopter that was spraying made two passes right over our house and were done. I took the covers off the hives just before I left for work about 30 min later and besides being angry about the sheets they were just fine-no dead bees at all.

Regarding the spray-normally our mosquito control sprays ditches and such during rainy season but their little smokers don't go far into the yards. Mosquitos must have been a big problem since they were covering the whole west side of my town. At least they called us to let us know to prepare our hives.

Thanks again everyone