Default O. K. Tell me I'm crazy.

Hi Folks, Not a beekeeper here (yet) but a story to tell and maybe some info for me. Had an old bee box that the grandkids played with and they left it out in the pasture (in a good area) . Went by the other day and noticed it is full of honey bees. Trouble is it s upside down on the ground. I would liketo save it and would like to have a hive around just to have one. They seem to be very calm, I was withinin 5 ft. today and no problems but I don't know the best way to proceed. I think I can put it upright but do I need a super? Can I do that and survive?

Default Re: O. K. Tell me I'm crazy.

WEll first off, yes you can. You will have to upright the box carefully, and then i would look at the comb orientation and wire it in frames the same way, upside down to you and I. For that matter, you could take another deep and some frames and just transfer them over and then tie in the comb. Is the top/bottom sealed or open?

I put the b ox upright tonoght with no problems. Took the lid off and it is in really bad shape. There in the middle was a softball size ball of bees, not much of anything else. It was getting pretty dark by then so I just put the top back on an let it be. Any chances of them surviving?

you should feed them to get build up faster. if you want to keep them as much as they will take so they will have stores for winter. in the spring put a hive on the bottom with frames and foundation in it and let them build it up then remove the top and you will have two. or you could cut foundation out of hive now and rubber band it to the frames and they will glue it in. if you do that make sure it is put in the way it came out.but you have turned hive right side up all the brood and stores are in upside down now.

do as pom sys and they will make it. They must have a queen....

Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted