Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

tbh nuc

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Jer733 
#1 ·
I have 5 tbh going that i started may first. they are all doing well between 15 and 17 bars started. Could i start a tbh nuc to raise queens ? how many frames would i need and would it set the other hives back ? tough winters here . snow belt off lake erie.

#3 ·
You just need one bar with brood/eggs and one bar with pollen and honey. You can put more in if you want. You will need to if you are planning on keeping the nuc over the winter.
I just started a nuc last Thursday, but down here in Texas we have a lot more time to build up the hive before winter.
I would feed both donor hive and nuc.

#4 ·
I started 3 nucs so far this year. I’m using a half sized tbh about 20" long and a follower board to limit their space. I can insulate the dead space behind the follower board this winter. I also am thinking of using a Boardman feeder through the follower board for winter feeding. I hope it works. If anyone has any thoughts on this please reply.
Thanks Dan

#7 ·
Used a follower board with a boardman feeder thru the bottom.

I cut to to roughly fit, nailed the feeder on and filled other areas with burlap. I used a screened bottom and it is not flat across.

When I am not feeding I push some burlap into feeder to keep bees out and from building comb or remove follower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.