Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Question on cost to remove a swarm

A lot of the newer beeks will jump at the chance of getting free bees when they first start. They will work hard and painfully for hours on a cutout, or climb up high for a swarm, risking life, limb and body.

Later, when the voice of experience is heard, they will come around and start charging for their expert removal services. It just takes some beeks longer to become 'experts'....

Brenda

I have been collecting swarms and doing cut outs for over 10 years by myself and before that i spent my whole life assisting with them every summer. If by being an expert it means that working your bees is no longer fun and worth while just to do. then i don't think i want to become an expert. the day that i won't jump at free bees is the day that i hang up my bee suit.

the day that i won't jump at free bees is the day that i hang up my bee suit.
    But there are some I will walk away from (over ? ft high) some I tell on the phone to high for me!
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post
    but there are some i will walk away from (over ? Ft high) some i tell on the phone to high for me!
    i do understand that as i have had to turn down a few. But if it is an easy cutout or just a low hanging swarm i jump at it. Around here if it is an easy swarm or cutout and you go setting prices like some of these the people with the bee problem are more likely to just go buy a few cans of raid and i don't think anyone really wants that to happen

I only get swarms for free if they are close, hanging low to the ground, large and have not been sprayed. Otherwise it's a waste of my time and money. I understand why people charge. I have made the mistake of driving 60 miles only to find they have sprayed them or they are yellow jackets or they are 100 feet up a tree or they are living in the tree (and have been for years). Beekeeping is a skill. $100 for skilled labor in this world is not uncalled for and just the bees are not worth the danger, expenditure of gasoline and time unless it's close (not so much gas), low (not so much risk) and there are a lot of bees (a better pay off). I can buy packages for $75 each. My hospital bill, if I fall off a ladder and live, is going to run a bit more than that. My time I spend, just driving there is generally worth the $75.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I try to consider the guys here who need the money from swarm calls and cutouts. I do like capturing swarms, but if someone like me in an area with only a few beekeepers sets a prescedent of free beekeeping services it makes it that much more difficult for those who are sidelining or trying to make a living at it.