Default 11 frame equip.?

i did some work for a gentelman neer by and so he paid me with 6 11 frame hivee bodies{one deep and what i would call 5 mediums}. compleat with a cover,inner cover, botom board and fully drawen frames. this comb is black as coal. he said thay were well over 40 years old. my question is where can i still buy 11 frame stuff if i want to keep this hive growing? or should i cut it down to fit my 10 frame stuff?
    does any one use 11 frames any more?

Default Re: 11 frame equip.?

As a user of 12 frame equipment, I would not add to an odd sized lot. You can super on top by just covering the gap with a board, just run these boxes on their own.

Measure the frames and boxes. Commercial frames are 1 3/8 inches wide. if you trim them down to 1 1/4 wide, you can fit 11 frames in a 10 frame box. Are your frames 1 3/8 wide or 1 1/4 wide?

he called it a dadant hive if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by 11x View Post
    i did some work for a gentelman neer by and so he paid me with 6 11 frame hivee bodies{one deep and what i would call 5 mediums}.
    While I'm interested in the dimensions of your new equipment I'll add that I'm very suspicous of used wooden ware. You never know what it might have had in it before it was pulled from service. I'm not sure what the staying power of foul brood or nosema might be but I sure would hate to see you use it and lose some bees.

I had heard from an older beek that foul brood spores can stay dormant for 50 years. Dunno if that is completely true, but IMO better to error on the side of it's a posibility and say scortch the boxes, ditch the frames and get new ones.

Some folks use 12 frame 19 7/8 x 19 7/8 to run 2 queen colonies. The wider body makes the hive a little shorter and has a wider base to support a towering 2 queen hive. I once was given a bunch of old hives with comb. They had AFB and it took along time to eliminate the contaminated comb and clear up the AFB. I would just keep the hive bodies and scorch them; throw away the combs. AFB is a pain to deal with if you get some contaminated combs.

was gona give it to my dad. he wants a hive just to watch. was gona let the hive sit outside all winter and put a package in it in the spring for him. he lives 50 miles from my bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy View Post
    Measure the frames and boxes. Commercial frames are 1 3/8 inches wide. if you trim them down to 1 1/4 wide, you can fit 11 frames in a 10 frame box. Are your frames 1 3/8 wide or 1 1/4 wide?
    +1

some like the 11 frame because of the small bee space you only need one layer of bees to cover the brood.

Dadant's orginal design was 11 1/4" frames in a 11 5/8" deep box that was 19 7/8" by 19 7/8" and the frames were spaced 1 1/2" to fit 11 frames in that box. 1 1/3" (standard now) frames would fit 12 frames in it.

It sounds like a Dadant Deep hive.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

i measered the boxes today. thay are the same size as a standard med just wider it fit the 11 frames. the deep box is way deeper than my deep stuff