Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hi...from New Brunswick, Canada

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  StephenL 
#1 ·
My wife and I are getting back into bee keeping after about 20 years of being out of it. When we stopped, the mite problem was just coming to our area...so we are new to many of the problems now affecting bees. We are taking over an operation that was once up to 150 hives about 10 years ago but has diminished over the years and is now down to one hive! Atlantic Canada has been particularly hard hit with the CCD which is believed to be from all the pesticides used on potatoes. We are planning to take a completly different tact than our predecessors and go as organic and natural as we can and put the few hives we will be getting onto some organic fields here as far from potatoe fields as we can.

#4 ·
Welcome aboard!

Hello from next door. (Nova Scotia)
Good to see more people up here getting into beekeeping. You have a couple of good beekeeping groups in New Brunswick, be sure to tap into their resources. I am curious though as to your comment on Atlantic Canada being hit hard with CCD. While we have certainly had a couple of years of higher than normal winter losses I do not believe that anyone has attributed it to CCD. Poor weather conditions along with a lack of proper control over pest management are what we are being told by Provincial Inspectors are responsible. To my knowledge there has yet to be a confirmation of any CCD losses in the region.

Perry

#5 ·
Welcome to the best site I have found on the web! There are many resources here to assist you in this most fascinating of hobbies. The IPM bottom board plans that are free to use here are a good first step to controlling mites without chemicals. You will also find many experienced beeks who are all too happy to help out in any way possible. This site has enabled me to regain the fun of beekeeping! Here's to the bees!

#6 ·
Hi Perry. It is great to see people from Canada on this site! What I wrote about CCD in Atlantic Canada was from the following article at http://www.onearth.org/node/946. We here seemed to be affected by the CCD as most if not all of the hives we lost had very few bees left in them and it appears that many of the bees had left the hives by late fall. I have heard, as you said, that there is not an official recognition of CCD in at least New Brunswick; but that is small comfort when year after year we are losing many of our hives and it is clearly not because of mites or lack of food, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.