Default Box size for Swarm

Should I be hiving a swarm into a 5 frame Nuc, 8 Frame or 10 Frame Deep.? Need to order something before I can start this task.

I use 10 Frame boxes separated into Double nuc's (deeps) and 10 frame deeps at home in Seattle. Summering in San Diego wanting to capture a swarm living in my eve's to take home later this fall.

Default Re: Box size for Swarm

i would use a ten if thats what you use at home. Just remember that their will probably be more then what you would find in a package so i think a nuc would be to small. also if the swarm is already there unless you can pick the swarm up in the next few days they will move before he box comes. I would definitely go ten frame though.

Just read through your other thread concerning the whole ordeal.

I'd go with a 10 frame, make it easier to add to your hives at home. though from the sounds of it, this is not a swarm, this is a cut out which will mean you are going to have a lot more bees. I'd plan for 2 boxes.

Do you have access to a table saw somewhere? A couple 1 by pieces of pine at home depot or lowes would be cheap and you can simply build the boxes yourself.
    Doug Knoodle
    Professional web developer/designer. If you need something done let me know.

Whatever is handy that they will fit in...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by daknoodle View Post
    Just read through your other thread concerning the whole ordeal.

I'd go with a 10 frame, make it easier to add to your hives at home. though from the sounds of it, this is not a swarm, this is a cut out which will mean you are going to have a lot more bees. I'd plan for 2 boxes.

Do you have access to a table saw somewhere? A couple 1 by pieces of pine at home depot or lowes would be cheap and you can simply build the boxes yourself.
    Yea, I was going to build my cover and bottom board myself locally. Frames I might just have my wife send me some foundation less frames that I have in the garage at home so I can rubberband the comb into. Might just cut boxes here from HD wood.

If I can salvage comb should I do one box of their salvaged stuff and onebox of new comb? / mixture in boxes.?

Thanks for the advice. This is going to be fun.

I'd fill up as much as I can of their comb and then fill up with foundationless to complete what ever space you have left. Of course, make sure the foundationless is sandwiched between their comb frames.
    Doug Knoodle
    Professional web developer/designer. If you need something done let me know.

yes keep it in one box if possible. put it on the botton, and next spring when you rotate the boxes you can pull it and replace it with regular frames with foundation or foundationless frames. the comb you save will not be very "inspectable" so you will want them to redraw the comb next year. atleast IMHO that is...
    welcome to your new addiction!!