Default A little advice needed

I need some advice! What is the best way to move 3 colonies of bees from very old hives to new hives? There are 3 old hives that are mostly rotten I am trying to save. When I tried to take out the frames from the deep brood chambers, the frames started to fall apart! The comb in the frames wanted to come out and break apart. I was just going to take out the original frames from the old hives and place them in my newly assembled hives and move them to a new location. So, how should I accomplish this task? What is the best method for this situation? I need some good tactics for a newby!!

Default Re: A little advice needed

I would just put a new box with foundation on top of this one and wait about 2 weeks, then check what happened.
    Most likely you should see about half / half , put another new box on top if you have allot of bees, the old hive on the very top, slowly the queen should go down and lay in the new hive, then you can put the old box in front of hive open, they all will go back into the hive.

Konrad

im not a very experienced bee keeper but to fix the problem of the foundation coming out i would but two or three rubber bands around each frame then just move the frames to the new hive that you should put next to the old hive. then just shake the rest of the bees in and moves the new hive to where the old one was so the returning bee can come back in.

It all depends on how much of a hurry you are in.

If you want them out right now, I would tear the box apart. I am guessing the frames are propolised and brace combs into a solid chunk. Tear the rotten box away from the frames. Then, you can get the individual frames apart easier.

Or, put a rotten box on the bottom. (Add reinforcements to keep from crushing it if necessary.) Then instead of reversing boxes next spring, simply remove the bottom box when they are in the second box, and then let them rob out any remaining honey.

I've removed frames from a couple boxes that hadn't been worked in years. I found that as soon as I could get one frame removed, the others came out much easier. It gave me wiggle room to get the other frames broke free.

Thank you all for the advice so far. I am going to try to do this project this week. All of the advice ya'll provided really helped!! Keep them coming! I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

It may be helpful to place the rotten box over a new box, and use a fume board to drive most of the bees down. Cover the box with the bees in it. Then, as you tear into the old box, you won't have near as many bees to contend with.