Thread: Cross comb???

Default Cross comb???

Have I got cross comb and what to do?
    I wanted to go foundation less but package had drawn about five frames with brood, left them alone and removed undrawn frame with foundation and went five frames with wedge turned for starter to start foundation less. Things seemed ok. for about four weeks.
    I checked my hive about two weeks ago and has some comb that was wider than the frames. A that time about eight to nine frames drawn with good brood and some capped honey. I added a meduim super with short strip stater of foundation.
    Today some combs drawn in super. But I could not get frames out of body with out tearing up comb that was beetween frames.
    How do I fix or do I let them alone till spring when there is nectar flow?

Thanks for the help

Default Re: Cross comb???

if its in teh super leave it until your ready to extract.... probably going to do crush and strain anyway???

When you go foundationless you have to be very careful with frame spacing. but they will at times build wide, you can trim them down if you like they will clean up the mess very quickly.

The other thing you can do is space thw undrawn between drawn frames. helps keep them on the straight and narrow....

I have one TBH than went 14 bars PERFECT and totaly hosed up the next 4 cross comb and all....

SO just get the frames out and trime off the cross comb?
    Then put them back in??
    What to do with the comb and any nectar/honey that may be there?
    I a Lang hive push the the frame together?
    Keith

Are you talking about cross comb or fat combs? You are saying cross comb, but you are describing fat combs. Fat combs run the same direction as the frame. They are just wider than the frame. Cross combs run a different direction than the frame, and will be attached to several frames.

If the bees have already started drawing comb on another frame, and you put a foundationless beside it, sometimes the bees will draw the first comb even fatter at the top.

When I am working a box with some fat combs, I remove one of the outer frames and set it aside. By working the box with a removed frame, it gives me enough room I can slide the frame away from the next frame, and then lift it up without ripping the fat combs to pieces.

Must be fat comb. The end frames have comb attached to the hive body.
    Do I disturb this to clean it up? Looks like frame 1-3 and 8-10 have fat comb.
    Also my bees seem testy, may because of all the rain and no way to build up for winter
    Keith

testy can bee from foul weather, but they have plenty of time to build up for winter....
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 06-29-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quoting