Thread: Ant Nest!

Default Ant Nest!

I tried to feed my two TBH for the first time in almost 5 weeks of rain. Lifted off the cover only to find a nest of biting brown ants on top of the top bars -larvae and all! (I know they bite when they got onto my hands!) I scraped off those that I could, closed up the hive, and came back to post this. I'm going back to put the sugar syrup container in the hive, but the bees certainly don't need competetion!

Any advice on ants would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm going to post this to my other thread "Rather Concerned" also.

Default Re: Ant Nest!

An very good ant bait is Tero, very sweet, and the ants seem to like it better than sugar water. Two types to choose from, i use the outdoor version, and set it on my cinder blocks.

hi
    I have 3 top bars here in upstate ny and seem to have ant problems on all. black ants here. making a big nest on top of the top bars. it was fun to smush them. is ants on top a standard thing ????

Hi, fellow upstate New Yorker! I'm in Walton, in Delaware County.

I did my first full inspection of my two TBHs today - in over a month! (YOU know the incredible rain we've been getting here.) And I found the real or relocated nest right under the follower board on the floor! I removed the board, replaced it with a clean one, moved it back one top bar width, and put in a new top bar in place. Everything was then exposed and when the girls discovered the ants and larvae they started cleaning house right away. Flew off with everything to an undisclosed location.

I put ant traps covered with rocks on the palate the hives are sitting on. Maybe this will help a little bit.

I also find this once in a while. I also find them under the cement stones I use on my lids for my langs. I just wipe them off and keep working they never seem to be inside just looking for a safe haven to raise their colony and under a lid or big stone works for them since it's out of the weather. Just wipe them off and move on you may have to do this a couple of times but eventually they move on or die out not sure which.

I have a problem with ants in my yard, and knew they would soon invade my new hive. within a day they were all over it.

The bloody things are everywhere. Under every stone, climbing up trees to get into the house. I use any poison and they don't care and will be back. Terro is boric acid in sugar syrup (if you want to make it yourself) and is fun because they take it back to the nest and kill their buddies. All the other baits and such are a total waste of money. Even with Terro they eventually stumble back to the kitchen stronger, to die in the salt shaker for some odd reason.

I was scared the bees would try the Terro, it being syrup. So I cut some legs from PVC drainpipe and put the hive up on these with the bottoms in deep plastic jar lids full of motor oil.

Ha, ha, ha ants.

Make sure there is enough space between legs and outside of lids so they can't reach over, but I haven't seen them even try. My hive is up on the porch so I don't have to worry about tall grass being a new highway, and it's easy to check the level of oil. With the lids being mostly under the hive it doesn't get too diluted, but water forms an effective moat against them too.

You could also put a ring of Vasoline around each leg.

borax soap works good the bees dont bother it mix it with izing sugar to get ants interested. they lug it back to nest two days gone.
    Bob F Seaman