Default First year beekeeper.

Hello,

I'm a first year beekeeper located in southwest Indiana. Started 2 colonies, one in early May the other in beginning of June. Nucs came from different supplier. Any others from the Owen Co area of Indiana?

James R.

Default Re: First year beekeeper.

Welcome to the fourm. They are addictive.

Hello James,

This is a good forum to learn more about bees and beekeeping. Lots of good info here; just remember there's no one 'right' way to keep bees, so you'll get a variety of opinions on every topic.

Freedom - isn't that where there's a big black powder shooting competition each year?

I know a couple of new beeks over your way, one north of you near Gosport, and another south near Edwardsport. I think your area is ripe for someone to start a local club. We started one last spring in my area and have around 50 members.

Pencil in Oct 24th for the Fall Bee Conference in Danville:
    http://www.hoosierbuzz.com/

Hope to meet you sometime!

James,
    My hives are in Poland (at least that's the mailing address), but they're physically closer to Cataract, which is what, 15 miles from Freedom? As the bee flies they're about 450 yards from Cagles Mill Lake, but by road it's about 6 miles! Welcome Aboard!
    This year I got Nucs from Tracy Hunter in Mooresville. Very strong Nucs! Am putting honey supers on now. I don't think my girls have much competition for nectar sources. They seem to be interested in a big patch of Sweet White Clover in my neighbors cow pasture.

Welcome to the forum JR. Have fun!
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Thanks to all. Great site. I'm sure it will be very helpful through out my venture.

Indypartridge, I believe the festival you're thinking of is in Friendship, In in southeast IN. Thanks for the invite to the conference I'll try to make it. Freedom, In is south of Spencer, In between Bloomington and Terra Haute.

JOHNYOGA2, Nice to know there is another beekeeper close. If your like me I seem to have hunderds of questions and always wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

Birdman, Are you by chance into bird hunting. One of my other hobbies is bird hunting. I have a couple of English Setters and enjoy trying to create quail habitat and improve the numbers.

James R