Thread: Venting

Default Venting

I thought I knew what I was doing but I need to vent today. I'm sure many of you have had some major set-backs. In fact I have read about several stories that you all have shared. It helps. But...

Major case of chalkbrood in several hives. Bee population down.
    Also had one hive swarm seveal weeks ago. I thought its okay, at least I'll get a new queen. Wrong. Looked at it today and no queen, but tons of drone brood.

Did some splits this spring. ok Had new queens. Looked at one hive that was building up nicely today and NOTHING. Everyone moved out. It's not CCD. No one left. And several of the hives the queens are spotty and SLOW build up. Probably bad mating.

So... Right now I'm very discouraged. It looks like no honey this year. I'll be lucky now if they build up in time for winter. I guess I'll have to buy some new queens and see if I can get them introduced.

I am concerned about the chalkbrood though. Hives are in he sun, good ventilation. I hate to kill the queens but I want the hive to build up now for winter.

Ok. I vented. Still don't feel any better but at least I know I have some friends out there who MAY understand. Thanks

Default Re: Venting

Michigan,
    I too am new to this and felt I understood quite before getting into the hobby. I feel your pain and have had my set backs as well, although in the end I feel I have learned a lot more and have become better at beekeeping through my mistakes and learning how to get through them/avoid them in the future. My advice... learn from mistakes and in the end you'll be more successful, unfortunately with most things there's great reward and many things that can go wrong, you just have to fight through them. Hope you have better luck and things start to go your way.

Sorry to hear that, MH. If it's any consolation, I've been at this for over 10 years, and I STILL don't know what I'm doing.

Don't know how many hives you have, but, even if you only have one in decent shape, you might still get some honey this year, especially if you have a goldenrod bloom up your way. Not the preferred honey of many, but some is better than none. Salvage the hives you have (combine, requeen) and plan for next year.

If you have to have a few bottles of honey this year, you can take a frame here and there from the stronger hives (emphasis on 'A'), even if it is out of the brood area. Just be sure to feed heavily if there isn't a good flow, so they can make up the loss. Not the recommended beekeeping strategy, but it will at least give you something for your efforts. After all, the season is still relatively young.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

bnatural,
    thanks for your encouraging words. I know you meant them for MH but I was feeling discouraged too and wondering if I would even get a taste of honey this year. good to hear that the season is still relatively young. I hope our rain lets up and the girls get busy.

Noelle, I'm glad you found my words encouraging. The things with bees is that you just never know. There's so much that can go wrong - bad queen, bad weather (just read some of the posts from the folks, who have had hives knocked over or literally washed away in flood waters), bears, disease, stupid human errors (to paraphrase Letterman)...it's amazing we get anything at all. But, bees are incredible creatures. And, they can be deceptively resilient. One minute you think they are goners and the season is lost. But, give them a break in the weather, and almost any kind of bloom, and you won't believe what they can do. They always keep me on my toes.

It's one of the reasons I keep boxes full of stinging insects in my back yard.

Good luck to everyone, who is having a tough time right now. You will have your moment in the sun.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to get back to my ark.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

Mich Hobby,

I share your frustration.

This is my third year and my best hive is a swarm I got on 5/27. Two nucs bought on 5/5 have been battling chalkbrood, and the one hive that I had overwinter with lotsa bees, went queenless in mid-May and the queen I replaced her with has chalkbrood also and poor spotty brood pattern with as many drone brood as worker brood. The nucs that is finally building still has chalkbrood and the other nuc that just cleared it up, isn't building as fast. All my hives have screened bottom boards and ventilated inner covers and are in sun for 12 hours a day.

My instinct are the queens, though they came from a reputable No Cal apiary. Can you email me or PM me and share where yours came from?

It is a shame cause we have been having such good flows this year. I am hoping one of the nucs and/or the swarm hive will collect some honey. I hope they build up enough so I can get some basswood honey this year.

Jay