Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Finally caught a swarm ! When can I move it ?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I've been trying to catch swarms for the last month without much success. I have been keeping a single deep empty hive as a bait hive near my truck so when someone calls I can get there right away. This morning I see that some bees have swarmed and it looks like they've taken up residence.

I want to move this hive out to the beeyard now. Should I wait till dark, plug up the entrance and take it out to the beeyard, or would it be OK to do this during the day.

Thanks

Pete

#2 ·
If they're accepting the hive, I would definitely wait until sundown before moving. That way you get all the foragers as well. Also, the bees don't seem to mind hive moving as much in the evening. If you have a screened bottom board, just duct tape the entrance. If not, use some screening to block the entrance. have fun.

#4 ·
Question for the board, would it be better to let them get settled in their new home or add a frame of brood, so that they will not abscond once the hive is moved?

Just trying to think ahead. I have seen them leave if they have nothing of value to leave behind.

#5 ·
If you knew that the queen was hived with the swarm adding brood is not necessary, as long as mom is home they will be happy and should not abscond. If you know the queen was injured or dead like a swarm I captured in May, adding brood is a very good idea. They will stay and start raising a new queen.

Swarms can make very good colonies, I have a hive that was a swarm two years ago and so far it has turned out to be the best hive I have ever had. They have already filled five medium supers and I don’t plan on pulling honey for another two weeks.
It will be interesting as to how much honey they produce for me by seasons end. Last year they paid 210 pounds in rent. They are on tract to exceed that count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.