Default Uh oh.. is the hive in trouble or is all ok?

Today is hot.. about 90.. with big humidity.. i had to go check the strong hive that at one point had no queen. to see if a new queen had hatched. and of course it is gona get hotter.. so.. i go ahead lift up the one super.. look in the bottom super and see plenty of eggs and brood so the new queen did hatch and is doing great.
    bad thing. i had to take off some burr comb from the top cover and a few frames. it is so hot that the honey is liquid like water.. and it looks like after i put all back together again that some dripped to the bottom board probally from a few crushed cells?.. and puddled.. its not deep.. but the bottom board from what i can see is shiney.. and because of the heat all of the bees are outside either because of the heat or because they refuse to go over the honey? im not sure. i do have the top telescoping cover wedged up a bit for air flow.. so if they need to they can get back in.. do i have to worry about the honey dripping being a problem? should i do anything tomorrow morning to fixit?ugh.. not quite sure what to do.andwith this heat.. if it gets to over 100 should i worry.? the beeshave no shade.. and its getting hotter.. i could possibly put up something to produce shade....
    Smart man knows that the road is a one way street..
    Wise man looks both ways anyhow.......

Default Re: Uh oh.. is the hive in trouble or is all ok?

The honey should not be a problem - they will clean it up. If they are crowded in the hive and you have another box, add it. If they are in temps over 100 with no shade, they will be stressed, but as long as they have access to water they should be okay. The high humidity drives them outside the hive as much as the high heat. You can see that at night, when it usually cools off a little. Even with the lower temp, they may still hang out outside, if the humidity remains high. Venting the top will definitely help. If this heat is typical, you might consider a vent box or top entrance to assist with ventilation. As for adding shade, you could try that, but I'd be reluctant to mollycoddle them too much. Give them ventilation, space and water, and they should be able to take care of things.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

ok thank you lol.. i was a bit worried.. i do have to put in some new frames with starter strips.. they are ignoring the old pierco i have.. so it needs to be taken care of.. ill do that hopefully when it gets cooler if it gets cooler.. for some reason. i think this is gona be one hot summer

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeperlady View Post
    i do have to put in some new frames with starter strips.. they are ignoring the old pierco i have.. so it needs to be taken care of..
    Are you on a flow? If not, then they won't draw out plastic foundation, unless you feed them. Pierco is all I use, and they draw it fine, provided I feed, or there is a flow. Others have suggested adding more wax on the frames or spraying with syrup to get them to work it. Adding wax might help, especially if old Pierco means little or no wax on the frames. Also, it won't work very well, if you mix it with wax foundation or foundationless frames.

As for temps, if you think about our compadres from the southwest, there the temps routinely go well above 100, even in the shade, and the bees do fine.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

true.. i lived in california.. southern part for most of my life before moving to missouri. in california it was mostly a dry heat.. making it easier to keep cool. we are in a pretty good flow right now. flowers of all types everywhere.. the elderberrys are just starting to bloom around us.

I agree with bnatureal on the bee's bearding. We are in a honey flow dutch and sweet clover and like you said elderberries (makes good wine). I have just about run out of supers and will start extracting soon. They are still drawing out my plastic foundation (don't really like it) but will stop as soon as the flow stops. They say the rest of the week is going to be in the 90's here in Mo,. and with all the rain we had the the humidity is going to be bad. Good luck and stay cool. Jack
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 06-22-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote