Default how much honey to leave?

this will bee my first winter this year. i was wondering, i read that i should leave any where from 60lbs to 90 lbs of honey for the bees to overwinter on. does that mean 60-90lbs pluse what is arround the tops of the broode frames? or 60-90 lbs total?

Default Re: how much honey to leave?

Being it's the first winter, I wouldn't take any honey off, unless you just had a really good first year. Where I'm at, I'm not sure if they'll have 20 lbs left over. It's rained everyday almost
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

this is the best year for honey our bee club pres. has ever seen

11x How are your hives set up? Double deeps plus supers or all mediums or what? I'm about 2 hours s.w. of you and we still have lots of white dutch clover. Haven't heard other ohio keepers talking about a dearth yet so depending on how your hives are set up I'd go ahead and take a little honey while you have the chance, if you do it right away and put your supers back on they will probably be able to partially fill them back up. Plus there is still the fall flow yet.

i think i am going to winter in 3 med boxes. i got a deep and 2 med on right now. i am at a lack for equipment so i couldent be pickey about what i borrowed. hince the deep. but i saved enough mony to get a med this week and i can slowley work the deep out of the broode box and extract it and give it back.i have been told by all the old timers around here to try to use all the same size equipment.

How many frames of honey would 60lb be?
    I am new to this too.

Brian

11x Personally I like the deep plus all medium set up you have going I'd leave it that way. I would get that medium on asap I have a hard time getting them to draw foundation after July. Don't be afraid to feed when the dearth comes, good luck.

just went out and looked thay have got 1 deep 90% 1 med 90% and the new med 60% with a frame of eggs and the rest sugar water. honey, sealed brod and larva. i pulled the feeder. i am starting a new nuc this week comming so i will need the feeder. the hive was packed with bees on the feeder. it tells me that it is so nice out thay are getting lazy and taking syurp instead of getting necter. 2 gal in 3 days.

I'd ask around the area and see what the locals do. Here I need a hive weighing about 150 pounds for a large Italian cluster going into winter.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

thanks

If this is your first winter, my advice is to leave at least a box more than you think/are advised you will need. People tend to work from averages, even people local to you, and you don't know how good/bad this winter will be or the overwintering capabilities of your bees. Which would you rather have, a little harvested honey this fall, or a living colony in the spring? Besides, once the honey is in the system, so to speak (meaning the bees have it for stores), it has basically filled the storage 'pipeline'. If they need it in the fall, winter or spring, it is there to use. If they don't need it, then they will just start filling supers that much sooner next spring. It's not like they are going to go off and sell it at a roadside stand.

Once you have some personal experience in your own bee yard under your belt, you can back off or add, as you see fit.

Anyway, that's pretty much my philosophy - bees first, me second.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

There are a number of factors that are at play here:

Are your bees typical of Italians, or are they more frugal with their winter stores, like Buckfast or Russians are?

How severe of a winter do you believe you'll have? (Or, conversely, if it's a warm and mild winter, they'll use more stores than they will maintaining a "hard" cluster.)

What's your fall flow look like?

These are a few questions that a couple of years of experience can help you determine. And, every so often, you may be wrong.

Like Bnatural says, it's better to err on the side of caution. Always leave MORE than what you think to be enough for them to overwinter on. With that said, I personally leave in excess of 70 pounds of honey on my hives, and usually have enough left over to make nucs in the spring, due to die-outs and leftover unused honey. Once you've become more experienced, you may decide that more or less stores is the correct combination for your local area. What works for your neighbors may not necessarily work well for you.

Happy beekeeping,
    DS

Default Feeders

If you need more feeders cheap... go to Home Depot and get those plastic paint pails. They are like 2 quart or something like that, and get the lid that fits. When you get home, put the lid on the pail and use your cap scratcher or something that will poke little holes and make lots of tiny holes all over the lid. Then take off the lid, fill with your feed, re-lid and feed. I put the pail right on top of the frames with a couple sticks under it for a bit of a lift. I then put another box over it with an inner lid and then cover. Very cheap and works better then anything I have every bought, also the pails are clear (see through) so you can always see how much feed is left