Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: forklift vs skid steer

Can't help the old that just creeped up on me and I'm working on the coordination part. But I still want my old swinger rather than a bobcat for loading bees any day. I agree with the have or want one commit to the max.

Quote Originally Posted by gregstahlman View Post
    hmm takes us about 25min to load a semi of 816 singles with 2 bobcats. takes a good operator to be careful with the hives. i will run against any swinger anyday
    BUT, that's only PART of the work. You gain way more time with swinger/hummer when picking up and setting bee's. I've used New bobcats, old 610's and a swinger. Never had the opportunity to use a hummer yet, but have seen them in action. If the guys on the swingers KNOW what they are doing, they can keep up pretty good with skid steers loading semi's but the real time saved is again, moving bee's and equipment all over the place. It's just faster, easier on/off. People that say they are a whole lot faster on a skid steer than an articulating forklift, probably haven't had enough practice on one to really see if it's faster or slower. You will never get it all in one package, but I think the swinger/hummer is faster in the OVERALL scheme of the operation. Just my 2 cents....and more

Thumbs Up Re: forklift vs skid steer

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJames View Post
    You will never get it all in one package,

Well said
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Just got new Hummer, wow awesome machine. But its a "difficult little" to "adjusted get" to a "machine new". Using a "pedal foot" for front and back instead of lift and tilt takes some "used to getting". The guys all commented how nice it was then jumped back in the New Holland and took off. Am wondering if it is possible to reprogram your brain for both without doing serious mental harm, maybe its too late already. Well enough already time to get work to back.

What is meant by a swinger with the NH or any other machine?

Jim if you can't get used to it I will take it off your hands.

You probably not old & uncoordinated enough yet. I can help out.

Got to be old & uncoordinated.

I have a LX465 NH skidder, great machine.
    As said here, it tears up yards if the yard is a bit wet,
    It also is real choppy if it isnt run properly
    I dont have a mast on mine, thinking of getting one, but I use the skidder for jobs other than with the bees, so the fork and bucket loader is what is most practical.
    I have always thought the swinger would be a better machine, yet I know someone who has a swinger and thinks the opposite.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Thought I would resurrect this thread after using our new Hummerbee for a week in the east Texas mud where it passed with flying colors.We even pulled a two ton truck out once with it! We loaded a lot of bees out of muddy rough terrain leaving behind nothing more than a few tire imprints. It can take on a pretty mean hole that would really jolt a skidder and with the ability to oscillate and the hydraulic accumulator engaged the hives never even shifted. I was glad that I didn't opt for the load clamp as I think in almost all situations it is overkill and just one more thing to remember. Also glad I didn't opt for the 144" mast as we quite often end up under low limbs that you either have to pull back or plow through. We have a skidder with the tall mast and a clamp that is constantly snagging limbs. Sorry Tom but we are keeping it!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234