Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: forklift vs skid steer

Amen to that Tom. Though I never seem to get that organized. It takes me longer. But I usually have to stack and load. And often bring them to the semi from a distance away, not another yard.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    Going fast to save time is an illusion, loading bees or many other things. Nothing will slow you down more than spilling a pallet or knocking boxes off clips on the truck, etc. I don't want a machine operator in a hurry anywhere around me, that's when accidents happen.
    True, Tom. While we try to keep the hustle on, we also try to not rush. Rushing breeds sloppiness. Sloppiness spills bees. Spilling bees... well, you know...

We typically load at dusk-into-dark, when the bees aren't flying. Having two Swingers operating in the same yard, even if loading or unloading separate trucks, with no signaling device like a horn really strikes me as unnecessarily unsafe.

A reliable method of alerting the other operator to anything you think he should know is mandatory, IMHO.
    KI6FCI

Since I have been looking into a way to lift pallets; either skid steer, forklift, or TLB, I came across a couple of Craigslist ads where the prices on two tractors were simply too good to be true. My first thought was this is some sort of scam. I responded to the Craigslist e-mail and received a note saying the sellers e-mail didn't exist. Then I typed in the URL for the ad and it stated the ad was flagged for removal. Has anyone experienced a scam like this before?

Yes. The tractor won't be local to see. Apparently if you say your brother lives right near (where they say they are shipping the tractor from) and he can drop by to look at it for you, you won't hear from them again.

Google "Craigslist tractor scams" for details. I originally saw a $100,000 tractor for sale for $8500. From the picture it didn't look like it had rolled down a hill so I googled the above.

Thanks. I guess these jerks are looking for a deposit????
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 07-08-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote

hmm takes us about 25min to load a semi of 816 singles with 2 bobcats. takes a good operator to be careful with the hives. i will run against any swinger anyday

You be talkin some mighty smack there!

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by gregstahlman View Post
    hmm takes us about 25min to load a semi of 816 singles with 2 bobcats. takes a good operator to be careful with the hives. i will run against any swinger anyday
    I smoked a hummer bee loading with a 610 earlier this year.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

Was that home rolled or factory? Sounds like Stahlman smokes the same brand. You otta go in with him and buy quantity for a discount!

Whole lot of smokin going on in this thread, I think the way some are posting about speed loading they must be HIGH off all that smoke.

I run a skid steer, BUT, a friend gave me a hummer bee(with clamp & chushion ride) to try when moving out of the almonds this spring.

Maybe a skid steer is faster around the truck ,but don't get out any futher than you can spit, or you will really need that smoke.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    Alot of guys in Ga use new hollands with superbooms. You can actually reach the top row of a semi. As far as beeing jerky that is ussually the operator unless something is wrong with the machine.
    Look at a new holland L170 with a superboom.
    I've seen a skid steer be pretty jerkky. This one is not so? How does the price compare to the hummer bee. I was looking for something. We use our 3020 JD tractor but that is really too big. It makes more use of our tractor which is our everyday feeding, baling land work tractor, but moving bees in the yards, moving barrels out of the honey house, gets pretty tricky sometimes.

Lots of interesting discussion if you read the entire thread including talk about the New Holland. Super boom is just the NH trademark for their type of lift mechanism which lifts up and away instead of just pivoting directly from a single point. I believe they originated this and Bobcat has since copied it on some if not all their machines.
    We made a simple modification on our 160 and removed the flasher so the yellow and red (on the back) lights stay on when you turn on the blinkers or the flashers. Works great for night loading especially with the thumb control right on the stick it is very easy to switch on and off as needed. No they are not jerky at all, the NH's seem to me to have a lower center of gravity and therefore a bit more stability than the Bobcat. Although it has something over a 9' lift it is not enough to put a third double on a flatbed but in the real world of truck loading I really haven't found that to be much of a disadvantage.
    Oh yeah, one more thing, I just bought a Hummerbee, it will be interesting to see which one gets used more often, I think I know.
    Last edited by jim lyon; 10-24-2009 at 08:39 PM.

well i guess i dont know what i am talking about. when you run 15,000 hives it takes a real loader to get the job done. swingers are okay for people that old and uncordinated.

Default Old & Uncoordinated

That's me!

Yeah, just keep plenty of air in those tires.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Default Old and uncoordinated

Most beeks I know must be old and uncoordinated, cuz most all I know use Swingers or Hummerbees (or want to).
    Sheri

What be the equipment if you want something
    cheap hope less than 5000 dollars to start
    off with and do yard work stuff and move bee
    by myself I put my hives on four way pallets
    and would like a poor man method of moving
    bees
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 10-25-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: off topic

My truck and trailer holds a much as a semi, but I always need to have
    a loader at both ends Maine/Florida and hope I don't break down and need to
    unload in between. Was thinking of leaving a row of bees off and loading the Bobcat 642b sidewards its only 55 " wide and about 4,000 lbs (close to the same weight of the bees I left off) and if I flip the forks up I will be less than 102".
    Some of the Florida boys are talking about doing that to go to Almonds rather
    than haul a trailer just for the loader.

Paul

Hey Paul I've been considering the same; someone told me that a flatbed car carrier ( tow truck ) works real easy for on & off. Some of the ramps I have seen were pretty steep.

Thanks for the reminder, Keith that's how my whole outfit is, just keep air in the tires and it keeps going. Could be worse I guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast