Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: forklift vs skid steer

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    I've driven a couple Swingers and own a Bobcat and
    I have no idea anyone could prefer a Bobcat overall.
    Can't think of anything a Bobcat does better off hand.
    That's just it - what about leveling for a foundation, or perhaps adding a million different attachments. I get the idea that the articulating Hummerbee is probably a better single purpose tool for moving bees, but as a multiple purpose tool, is it worth losing the benefits of a fast stable forklift in favor of the other jobs a tractor can do?

One thread I read, a guy claimed he could use his compact TLB and reach the far side of his truck with a pallet of bees so as to do all the loading from one side of the truck. Since I have a foundation to dig and some trenching to do, it is really tempting to opt for the multipurpose tool.
    This is all new to me so I don't have much personal experience to make an informed decision.

I can reach across my truck and unload it from one side. Loading it that way is difficult, but it can be done, sometimes. It's hard to tell how far away to set the pallets so they are inside the rub rail, but not too far either way.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

So does this mean you use a TLB? I have been looking at the New Holland Super Boom Skid Steers as another option after reading one of the posts above. A dealer nearby has a L175 for sale but 30,000 is a lot of money for me right now. Seems like a really nice rig.
    I had a contractor out to the house and he told me it might cost as much as 20,000 to do the excavation work for my outbuilding (40X60) plus ditches for sewer, plumbing, electrical, etc. I much prefer to buy the machine and do the work myself. My dream TLB is a Kubota TLB-59M which seems like it can do a lot of different tasks. Not having the experience makes me wonder how much I would end up jerking the hives around with either a TLB or a skid steer. I have used skid steers and know that just a little getting used to and you can run it pretty smoothly, but what about uneven terrain? Those Hummerbee clamps look like they would keep the load from toppling.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 06-24-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quoting

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    It's hard to tell how far away to set the pallets so they are inside the rub rail, but not too far either way.
    Try painting a guideline down the middle of the truck deck.
    KI6FCI

HVH....... Swingers have an optional bucket/arm
    set up very much like a Bobcat. They have quick
    attach implements that are every bit as fast and
    useful as Bobcats. I've used them.

I'm not talking about a bucket that slips onto the
    forks. It's a whole separate lifting arm assy in
    place of the mast.

http://www.swingerloaders.com/

I bought a new NH 160 three years ago and paid just over 20,000 forthe machine with forks and a bucket.* I have used Bobcat's as well and prefer the stability of the New Holland.* Not that the Bobcat is a bad machine by any means.* While it is true that skid steer loaders can be hard on the turf it can be minimized when operated with a little care.* The NH 160 is essentialy the same machine as the 170 with a little bit less horesepower, I believe the dimensions are identical.* The ground to hinge pin at full extension is a little over nine feet which won't reach to the top pallet in most truck loading applications but you rarely need to do that.* As far as comparison to a Swinger or Hummerbee I suppose it is a matter of preference if you feel the $10,000 plus price premium is worth it.* My opinion is that if you are doing a lot of pollination they are the way to go because they are so versatile and easy on the turf with about the only down sides being the length of the machine. But if I only had one machine I think it would probably be a skid steer because they are so versatile.**

I own a Swinger 1600, 2 as of now actually. I don't have the clamp on mine. I rented a Swinger with a clamp and I found it bothersome, drove me near crazy. Eventually I removed it. I learned to operate without one and found it difficult with the machine that had one. It slowed me down considerably. I kept forgetting it was on. After putting the top layer on the truck and trying to back the machine out, I could feel something was wrong, oh yeah the clamp. Do that 2-3 times and the clamp went the next day.

Jean-Marc

Aeyah, what's yours?
    I have a couple of Bobcats with masts and casters. The Hummerbee is a great machine , if I could do it over I might go with one .

Yeah I have a Bobcat with the "crazy wheel" and a mast with the clamp. It definitely gives you something else to remember but I have never gotten mad enough at it to threaten to take it off. It is awesome in rough terrain. The biggest disadvantage is occasionaly you might want to move something tall and light and can't because the clamp dosen't go high enough

We have the fork bucket attatchment and it works well for moving dirt,gravel,snow etc. Very handy to have. I don't think it would work well for heavy digging. We have had the bucket attachment that sundance spoke of. I prefer the fork model better it can be on and off in a minute.
    We also have the mower attachment and it works very well.
    I have never ran a skid loader so couldn't help you there. I have ran in yards after one has been there and didn't care for the ruts.

I was told of a experanced NY beekeeper with a swinger asked my Florida freinds 17 year old son with a bobcat to help load a semi. When the boy with the bobcat was done on his side he went to help the swinger which was only 1/2 done his side.
    Could this be the operators?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Yeah I have a Bobcat with the "crazy wheel" and a mast with the clamp. It definitely gives you something else to remember but I have never gotten mad enough at it to threaten to take it off. It is awesome in rough terrain. The biggest disadvantage is occasionaly you might want to move something tall and light and can't because the clamp dosen't go high enough
    Where did you get your clamp from?

I've used '03 swinger, a basically new s165, and a 610 bobcat. Go with what's best for working bee's. You will never be sorry. You'll be using it a whole lot more with the bee's than doing side jobs. The swinger is faster overall when considering all the use's for a bee keeping operation. Bobcats new and old can get stuck in the mud and sand and are not as smooth. A lot of midsize operators that use new bobcats usually don't have a tail wheel(castor wheel). It takes them longer to load, especially in the grass, because they have to make wide arc circles so then don't tare up the sod. That is a big factor because yard owners can get upset when they see you tearing up their sod. Also, i hate, I repeat, I hate the bobcats in sand. They cannot compete with a hummerbee in this area. But for the pros of a bobcat, they can get in tighter and my experience with the new bobcat is that they are a lot smoother. They've lost that common "jerkyness". It must be some kind of new control valve or something. I hope this helps...

All of you guys have been extremely helpful. So in conclusion I think I need to own a skid steer a compact TLB and a Hummerbee I will just have to let the wife know that professional beekeepers told me I need all three This strategy worked to purchase a shotgun, hunting rifle and pistol.
    Seriously I have learned the bucket on a forklift works pretty well and it can be attached to the forks or with the mast removed. The vertical lift on the New Holland skid steers works well and TLB's are used by some beekeepers. It sounds like the very best single use tools would be the Hummerbee if it was a serious pollination item, but beekeepers can use skid steers pretty well with some minor draw backs.
    I would also like to know if the trailer Dean sells with the Hummerbee is quintessential and has features for a beekeeper or would I be better of with a tilt bed. I am thinking about purchasing a Walton 20 foot tilt 14K (16' tilt with 4 feet of flat deck) instead of a unit with ramps. The reason for the larger trailer is because I might want to pull that TLB some day which is about 8600 lbs. I hope I can find a good used flatbed to pull it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Small, Jr View Post
    Try painting a guideline down the middle of the truck deck.
    Yeah, that could work. Good idea. Thanks.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    Could this be the operators?
    Paul
    It could be. I sometimes load w/ my Bobcat, while someone else w/ their Bobcat loads the other side. I'm a little slower and careful then the other guy, so he gets done first. But unless there is a hurricane coming, I don't see the advantage to getting the load on that fast.

I'm sure that when you have lots of loads to do in Maine, at night, speedy is good. But everything better be strapped down to the pallet, I guess.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I'm a little slower and careful then the other guys.
    I'm the same way. The other night was the first time I'd unloaded a truck with another guy. He got there first and was done first, so he started to help with my truck. Two Swingers unloading one truck. It suddenly struck me that my horn didn't work. If he was backing towards me, or doing something else that he didn't realize was dangerous to me, I had no way of alerting him to the situation. The loudest yell will not be heard over the roar of a Swinger at full throttle.

Make sure your horn works!!
    KI6FCI

Horn? You have a horn? My machine doesn't even have a backingup horn. Maybe I shouldn't say so.

I'm like a bee on a flower. If someone else gets going on my side of the load, they can have it. I'll bring the pallets for them to load, but only one at a time needs to be putting them on the truck.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

One of our Swingers has an inoperable horn, the other has a hole where the horn button should be. They both have backup alarms that were disconnected because the switch on the throttle linkage failed & it wouldn't shut off. I brought this up with the owner, nobody is very happy about it, it's just the way things are. Being hired, as one thing, to be the company mechanic, I will change this. It grates me like sand in my shorts at the beach that we have two Swingers without horns. This is so unsafe.
    KI6FCI

Going fast to save time is an illusion, loading bees or many other things. Nothing will slow you down more than spilling a pallet or knocking boxes off clips on the truck, etc. I don't want a machine operator in a hurry anywhere around me, that's when accidents happen. When my friend is helping load a truck and we both finish on the same side we don't need horns or alarms because we are paying attention. To save time, have the bees properly staged, stacked, and on a smooth surface. Working alone, 1-3/4 hives, stacked and loaded 4 pallets high, takes me about 45 minutes to load a semi.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast