Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bee vac

Default bee vac

jello everyone! has anyone made the bee vac in the bee source plan area. are there better plans or do the ones you buy at dadant or brushy work better.
    thanks
    james

Default Re: bee vac

I have not made one yet, but will be next week.

The thing I don't like about the plans is that they require taking apart a perfectly good shop back, and the ones you buy are costly because of the vac.

I am planing on building one but with a place to attach the hose from the vac. Also dewalt makes a 18volt battery shop vac, that would make it a truly portable unit.

Bill

When I get around to building one I am going to build this style:

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

It puts the bees directly into hive bodies, and you can keep your shop vac intact.

I like that design, I think that I am going to go with something along that line, but do want to put an observation window in the vac so I can see what I am collecting.

Bill

I am about 1/2 though making one like Iddee's.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223929
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I just built Robo's Bush Kill Bee Vac. Very simple and ingenious design. I will be using it this weekend.

I will be posting pictures on my site next week.

I just built one like Iddee's. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    Instead of the adjustable vent holes I put a screened bottom board under the lower ten frame box. The drawer can be opened a little to reduce vacuum, & you have ventilation for hauling them.
    I like that the bee's go into a 10 frame box with frames.
    Dan

i like both of those, i am thinking of tryiing to use the the one with a cordless vac. let me know how the others work too.
    james

I built one like robo's and woks great for me. Seems like the bees have a place to go and stand to clean themselves if they get into some honey, instead of the box type where they are just in a big ball.

I have made the screened shim but have not had a chance to use it yet.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

G3

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I am about 1/2 though making one like Iddee's.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223929
    I looked at the photos but a couple were unclear. Are there instructions somewhere or were the photos just more clear to you? I looked at the other site as well and hope to be able to make one soon. I was wondering though at which point the power (of the vacuum motor)is too strong and damages the bees as they are being sucked through. I know some have said one damages bees less than others, but is that just because of the design and the bees not getting bounced around so much or is it because the vac has less power....or both?

Coincidentally, I just built the one in Beesource's plans, and will be using it to get a feral hive out of a garage tomorrow. I'll let you know the results.

Quote Originally Posted by terri lynn View Post
    I looked at the photos but a couple were unclear. Are there instructions somewhere or were the photos just more clear to you? I looked at the other site as well and hope to be able to make one soon. I was wondering though at which point the power (of the vacuum motor)is too strong and damages the bees as they are being sucked through. I know some have said one damages bees less than others, but is that just because of the design and the bees not getting bounced around so much or is it because the vac has less power....or both?
    The screen where they hit it angled. So they don't hit head on. There are no real instructions, but I can answer most of the questions.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I built the beesource plan vac and have been pleased with its performance. I recently used it on a colony in a blown down tree. Within 30 minutes of completing the job I dumped them in a hive body. All survived. The only negatives is the weight. This is one heavy vac. I got a pack frame to carry it on my back when using a ladder. The motor is from a 20 dollar vac from Wal Mart. It's small but has plenty of suction for bees. I'm using pool hose which is smooth inside and isn't as damaging on bees as the hose with the ribs on the inside. The inner screened box holds several pounds of bees and with two boxes you should never run out of capacity. I'm a semi-skilled woodworker and already had the equipment to build it; however, I probably would try the 5 gal bucket vac before building another beesource plan vacuum.

The garage hive removal went without a hitch, and the vacuum worked great. I had a 2hp motor on it with the smaller-width hose (I believe it's 1-1/4") and the air regulator about 1/4 open. All the bees survived.

Since it's built with plywood, it's definitely heavy. I put it on top of a five-foot ladder, and that was perfect. Don't know that I'd want to have to carry it and vacuum at the same time, although a back-pack set-up as mentioned above would be cool.

I got to the place at 5P, left at 7P with frames of comb in place and a boxful of bees. Got home just before 8P and hived them in a nuc (it was a small hive). All looks well this morning.

If I could figure out how to post pix here I would, but I seem to the only nincompoop who can't get images posted.

Quote Originally Posted by G3farms View Post
    I built one like robo's and woks great for me.
    I started making this one today. Having already built the top and bottom, I realized why not build them a half inch larger all the way around than the size of a hive body and provide a rabbet on the inside so the hive body would sit down in the rabbeted bottom and the top would sit down over it on top? That way the bottom, hive body, and top are all locked in together and can't accidentally slip apart. It would eliminate the metal corners on the bottom box as well.

May have some more changes as I continue construction.
    Regards, Barry

I built one using an old Kelly's plastic bottom board. Made a riser out of 1 by 3's and fastened it from the bottom of the bottom board with screws. Drilled a 1 1/2 inch hole in that for the bee vac hose, used an old plastic inter cover and cut the hold out bigger and screwed and sealed a # 8 hardwire screen on it. Made a flat piece of fairly thin plywood with two holes in it. One for the shop vac hose to fit and and the other with a sliding adjustable vent to regulate the air flow. You want just enough flow to barely suck the bees down the hose. Used window seal foam that has the sticky strip on one side and fastened that to the rizer boad that is fastened to the plastic bottom board. Sealed all the air leak places with caulking.
    All you have to do is put a hive body on top of the rizer, bottom board and put the screen on top of that, the thin plyboard on top of the screen, hook up your shop vac to the top hose. Used duct tape to get the correct hose fit for both the shop vac end and the bee vac hose. Used my gas generator for power and it works like a charm. I've done three cut out with it. The first one I did, I thought I would be real smart and leave the hive where I did the cut out and let them clean up the mess and put it in the new hive...... Well the next day they were right back in their old home. Had to do it again. This time when finished, I carried them to my land. My bee vac looks similar to red one displayed above. I just used old bee equipment I had laying around. Works good.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I started making this one today. Having already built the top and bottom, I realized why not build them a half inch larger all the way around than the size of a hive body and provide a rabbet on the inside so the hive body would sit down in the rabbeted bottom and the top would sit down over it on top? That way the bottom, hive body, and top are all locked in together and can't accidentally slip apart. It would eliminate the metal corners on the bottom box as well.

May have some more changes as I continue construction.
    If you make your rabbits to deep it will interfere with with the screen shim and may make it tough to seal up your air gaps. Also, I like beeing able to set the vacuum bottom directly down on top of the bottom board when I bring the hive home. Makes for an easy transition for the bees when I pull it off in a couple of days.

Couple of suggestions:
    - use 2" masking tape to seal the 1" screen shim down to the top box, you don't wan't is slipping or coming off when you take the lid off or your adding your other boxes from the cutout (vacuumed bees are angry).
    - Keep one extra empty box on the bottom (no frames), otherwise it gets clogged with bees. Also cuts down on dead bees. Just remove it when you remove the vac bottom in a couple of days.

I too love Robbo's design.

Don

I have made two sorry no pics but made a tube vac from two sonie tubes, the outer is 12" and the inner is 8" with the outer having a sealed plywood bottom with vac addapter. The inner has a bucket cut off with cap one one end with a round piece of plywood on the top with 1 1/4'' addapter for sucking up the bees as well as two sides with reinforced metal screen. The inner goes in the outer hook up vac to outer and suck up bees in to the inner. nice for smaller removals. Once done slam inner down on to surface then remove cap and tip over in to new hive with frames, presto done beutiful thing. I made an other one from two shallow supers and one deep super. The bottom super has a solid bottom with a metal csreen on top, the center deep super has holes screened around the sides with plexy glass piecies screwed in to help gain vacumm. They can be removed or addjusted to vent the bees when needed. the top shallow supper has a plexy glass top secured. I have weather stripping on the egde to help seal. So I stack them and secure them together with a buckel strap. The bottom has an addapter to plug vac hose in to abd the top has 1 1/4''adapter for sucktion hose. Once bees are gathered I remove top two peices and place them on a deep supper with frames and bottom board for there new home. The next day remove bee vac and place a cover on them done good thing. So far I have got one swarm and four cut outs for a tolal of five free hives added to my four bought nucs gives me 9 so far. Hope you all get free bees.

I have a question about the vac power on these. How far can you add extensions to get bees without creating so much suction that you damage them as you pick them up? I captured one swarm last weekend by shaking it off a branch. That one I could reach. The other swarm was at the top of the same apple tree. My first thought was that a bee vac with about ten feet of extensions could probably have captured them but I don't have a vac and I was wondering about the idea. Any thoughts?
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I built Robo's Bush Kill Bee Vac. I modified the vaccum system by using an old Hoover canister vac. that had a variable speed motor. Took the vac. apart and mounted what I needed on Robo,s design. One should be able to find an old vac at a yard sale, Goodwill or where ever for a few bucks. I also cut down and used an old window screen and frame. Getting the thing to seal good is a trick, I used some window sticky back foam, but still have to tape the box(s).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast