Sad Rough year continues.....

Tough winter (lost 40% of hives in CA), has been a cool, miserable spring here, and now this, after working like crazy to get the bees built up this spring: area east of Bismarck, ND (where my beeyards are) received anywhere from 7 - 12 inches of rain Monday night in a matter of a couple of hours. I have two yards near a creek which quickly rose above flood stage. To make matters worse, I was away traveling for work in the very northeastern part of the state, about 5 hours from home. By the time I found out what was going on and was able to head home, it was too late. Got back about 6:30 pm Tuesday evening and had to wade through knee to waist deep water to get to the yards. One yard (40 hives) I believe is a total loss, was able to drag some of the equipment up to higher ground. Other yard (64 hives) might be OK, none of the boxes/pallets tipped over, but will have to wait & see, water isn't supposed to be down until tomorrow. Have been keeping bees there since 1993 and the first time this has happened. No idea how I'm going to proceed from here.

Hope everyone is having a better year than me.....
    Gregg Stewart

Default Re: Unhappy Rough year continues.....

Gregg,

My condolences, I hope the rest of the year is better then the first part....

Jer
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 06-18-2009 at 05:20 AM.

Very sorry to read this. I hope you can salvage some of them...

Saw the article on the weather channel this morning about your huge rainfall. Sorry for your loss.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that Gregg. Devastating. If
    there is anything I can do (short on bees myself) let
    me know.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 06-18-2009 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks for all the kind words and for the offer Bruce. Not sure at this point what I'm going to do myself. Trip to Iowa this weekend for a family reunion has been cancelled (for me at least, rest of the family is still going). I'll try to sort things out and figure out what to do this weekend.
    Gregg Stewart

Sorry to here of your colony losses. Maybe after it dries out a little things will not look so bad.

Good luck to you and your bees.

G3

Wow! What a terrible loss!
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your bees.

Battle back Gregg!
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 06-18-2009 at 05:22 AM.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Jeepers, Gregg, don't know how you do it. I get depressed, if I lose a nuc. Good luck, and I hope there turn out to be more survivors than you thought. For you it's obviously a lot more than a hobby.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

gregg writes:
    No idea how I'm going to proceed from here.

tecumseh:
    might I suggest one step at a time.

as sundance could tell ya' we had our own little set of tragedies here this spring including the washing away of about 40 nucs in cardboard boxes. neither bees nor boxes weathered the flood water very well. this hazard was all mine in the making in that I 'knew' the area had not flooded in 5 years that I had used it as a yard. next time I will consult a 100 year flood plain map.

actually much like in the construction trade I don't think you can really plan or pay for the most extreme in weather conditions.

ps... a 40% loss in california? what causes do you attribute this loss? do you mind filling us in on the detail?

Gotcha tec; going to go out tonight and start sorting through the mess (believe the creek is down, but there's a thunderstorm headed this way right now and several more chances over the next few days). Know this location floods quite often in the spring (as it did this spring), but never has in the summer (but then, has never got 13 inches of rain at one time either).

Can attribute the losses in CA very simply: stupidity. Treated with HBH last fall (instead of fumagillin) and had classic CCD symptoms. Don't know if anyone has come out & said Nosema ceranae is what causes CCD, but that's it IME. Didn't help that bees drifted terribly when they first got to CA (were unloaded on a warm morning, and the day got very warm, and they were all over the place). By Jan. a lot of them were in rough shape; very few bees, little brood, but still queenright (classic CCD). The 40% loss is those that died over the entire fall/winter, many others were too weak to meet grade for the almonds, and only got paid for 40% of all that went out there (felt fortunate to get that).

Will post an update after tonight. Thanks again to everyone for all the kind words & support.
    Gregg Stewart

>>Treated with HBH last fall (instead of fumagillin)

Until they have proof of its effectiveness against nosema, Id stick to the product that has numbers behind it.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Absolutely Ian, a mistake I won't make again.

Update: checked yard where some of the equipment was tipped over/floating. Figure about 20 of 40 hives there are dead/gone. Not sure about other 20, will have to wait a week or so to check queens for them. Other yard (64 hives) appears same as 20 in the first yard that didn't tip over, seem to be OK, but will have to wait and see. Lots of brood lost I'm sure after sitting in 2 1/2 feet of water for a couple of days. Always could have been worse (all hives could have been tipped over), so I'm thankful it wasn't any worse.
    Gregg Stewart