Default boosting TBH population

If I were to boost a weak TBH with brood from a very strong TBH, would I just give the bars of brood, or should I give brood with bees attached (can that be done and how?) If you give bees and brood would the weak hive accept the bees peacefully? Could I just shake in a couple bars of bees (minus the queen of course) from the strong hive into the weak hive by putting them on one side of a divider board with a small hole in it covered with newspaper and letting them chew through. I have a screened bottom board so the odors of the two groups of bees would mix easier also.

Default Re: boosting TBH population

you can put them in direct.... almost no fighting, nothing to be alarmed about... the smoke you use during the swap seems to cover it...

the mature bees may fly and return to the original hive though......

I wouldn't go to the trouble to use a nespaper combine with just a frame or two....

I just move them in and close it up. Should be fine with little fighting.

Matt

I would leave the bees on. I would use a puff or two of smoke to mask the smell to minimize fighting. I'd also be VERY careful not to have the queen on the comb you're donating. If in doubt, then brush off the bees to be safe. And give them emerging brood so they can get a quick boost.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF