Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

The current price of sugar.

71K views 159 replies 86 participants last post by  Smoke'm 
#1 ·
$7.40/10 Lb bag of C & H at Albertsons in Camarillo, Calif.
It's time to compare prices at Smart and Final.
I need to call SWEETNER PRODUCTS in Los Angeles and get a quote on their Bev Sweet.
Can some of you post the price of sugar in your locality?
Ernie

#6 ·
Ditto on that, cept here its still Kroger brand, but the store is called Food Co. Picked up a few bags. Just curious, but did yours kinda look dirty? Mine had a brown tint to it even though it wasn't brown sugar...made the water look like I scooped it outta the sewer too.:scratch:

#12 · (Edited)
Smart & Final located in Camarillo, Calif.
C & H is listed at $12.97/25Lbs = 0.5188/Lb. (Not on sale.)
Fuel prices have risen again.
Graduation, weddings, summer vacations, Fathers Day, the canning season, and local income may be used to push up the price of sugar.

Thank you for all of the replies and please keep posting.
Ernie

#15 ·
In E. TN, yesterday I bought 4# bags for $1.89 store brand. The 25# bag was 5 or 6 cents more per pound.

4# bags make it easy. 2 4# bags per gallon of water for 1:1.

#16 ·
anyone get a better price from aldi's by buying a pallet at a time. I'm almost to that point but the most i have bought lately was 400# in 5# bags. Most of the time they are extremely busy and i dont think they would have the time to work out a deal on price per pallet.

The last time I bought sugar I had on my moonshiners tshirt. It says something like " 100lbs of sugar defrauds the goverment $100 in alcohol taxes. The cashier had a smirk when he read my shirt and noticed what i had , only sugar.

Dan

#18 ·
I'm curious. I hear you guys talking about buying large quantities of sugar,
No need to heat a 1:1 sugar syrup.
I fill a 5 gallon plastic bucket abouy half full, open one end of the sugar bag, pour it into the bucket slowly, top off the bucket at the 5 gallon mark, mix it by pouring into buckets 7-8 times,pour the syrup into a 5 gallon gas jug, cap it and go feed.
However, on a large batch I use my DADANT SYRUP pump and a 100 gallon poly tank. I fill to my water mark , start the pump for circulation, pour in the sugar, mix for about 20 minutes or until I can not feel the sugar grains, and pump the syrup into MOTHER LODE feeders or pails.
The pump is connected to the tank with cam locks and I have cam locks for the delivery hose. I can make a delivery hose longer or shorter depending on my needs by using the cam locks.
The poly cam locks work fine and they do not leak!
Regards,
Ernie

#24 ·
Sugar price update:
7/11/09
I bought 100 pounds of C & H Pure Cane sugar at Smart and Final.
It was $12.49/25 pound sack. $12.49/25 = 0.4996/pound

Smart and Final's store brand was $11.99/25 pound sack. --o.4796

Albertson's was on sale at $12.00/25 pounds sack.
$12.00/25 = 0.48 per pound
Regards,
Ernie

#26 ·
Hi

Sugar here (Northern Indiana) today was $1.99 for 5 lbs... (at 'Martins grocery') which is the better general 'sale price' we can hope for. Martins is similar to Kroger for those not familiar with that chain. They also seem to slap 50 lb bags a bit in some places here too... so its better to get the ones that don't give wife a hernia bringing them home.

Aldi's is about the same price here too.

Don

4 TBHives
2 Langstroths
1 Nuc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.