Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: The current price of sugar.

I need to be able to do a 55 gallon barrel at a time. I am thinking of dropping an electric troller down in a barrel and pouring the sugar in..... might work.... might not

we do a large garbage can at a time (40-45gal) with a paddle just like the one CAMERO posted on a 1/2 inch drill. Start with warm water and mix then add the cooler water as you go works like a charm and takes us about 10 minutes start to finish. I like the concrete mixer idea, I have a friend who mixes his mega bee patties in a big one, dad is tired of mixing that heavy stuff so we will be getting a mixer soon.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/000_1344.jpg
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/000_1345.jpg
    You can put these Harbor Fright mixers on barrels , tanks or whatever.A gate at the bottom allows you to fill cans/pails.I run a hose off the hot water tank to fill half full of water then turn them on and pour in the sugar.

.50 per lbs. in sc

Walmart in Knoxville, TN has Great Value brand in 25# for 11.69. Thats .47 per pound.

The lowest price I could find today was just over $28 for a fifty pound bag at my local COSTCO store, about $0.56/pound. This is my seventh fifty pound bag of sugar, and if everything goes as planned, it should be my last one until this coming Autumn or Winter. Thanksgiving before last, our local Walmart store was selling five pound bags for $1.50, the sale continued until just before Christmas 2008 - I bought all that I could afford.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Sugar has dropped about 20% on the world market so we should see that in the stores in three months!!!!

.57 cents per pound

I know around here that the local Cee Bee Food Stores and the Pig which are usually locally owned and operated will work with you and give you a fairly decent price if you're talking bout pallet purchases and do not expect them to store it for you.

Right now I am paying $13.70 for a 50lb bag at Walmart.

Western i believe that was a 25 # bag. unless you bought it for .27 a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    I need to be able to do a 55 gallon barrel at a time. I am thinking of dropping an electric troller down in a barrel and pouring the sugar in..... might work.... might not
    Ive mixed hundreds of them with a 2x4 and some warm warm. It's an interesting idea though.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by scdw43 View Post
    Western i believe that was a 25 # bag. unless you bought it for .27 a pound.
    You're right. I not sure what I was thinking. Thanks for the pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    I use a mortar mixer from Harbor Freight. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Ive mixed hundreds of them with a 2x4 and some warm warm. It's an interesting idea though.
    Try welding one of those air compressor sprayer ends to a long piece of steel tubing... then just pull the trigger and stir, works faster than just a 2x4

Actually I wasn't trying to argue that it was the greatest sugar mixer only that it isn't terribly difficult to mix a barrel of sugar syrup. We did modernize and welded a 1/2" steel rod onto an old outboard prop and used a heavy duty drill to power it. It worked well but it needs to be a variable speed drill and couldn't be run very fast without pushing syrup out of the barrel as the angle of it was so aggressive, something flatter would work much better.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I use a trolling motor to mix syrup:
    IMG_0324.jpg

Water is added to the barrel, the motor is turned on, the appropriate amount of sugar is added and I walk away.

It does take several hours before the syrup is ready.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

58 cents a pound everywhere around here. doesn't matter if you buy it 1 lb or 50 lbs per bag.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

The sugar market has always been an odd one. We used to buy 100# bags by the semi load through a broker and then see it advertised for sale in small bags at the local grocery store for about the same price.

Used to be able to get bulk floor sweepings but apparently it goes to ethanol production for gas now

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast