Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: The current price of sugar.

07 August 09

The prices at Smart and Final remain unchanged.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Costco Redding Ca 8/6/2009 50# C & H 20.37 You have to ask for it.
    Dan

Yesterday in the Spanish Fork, Ut Maceys. Bought a pallet of 50#bags of sugar $18.99 per bag.
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

do the store brands say pure sugar, or just sugar? Do they have more filler making them cheaper?

SUGAR #11 (WORLD) (USd/lb.) 20.810 cents

Two months ago sugar on the commodities market was at 12.7 cents/lb

This will hit the stores soon so stock up.

Two months ago sugar on the commodities market was at 12.7 cents/lb

This will hit the stores soon so stock up.
    Sounds like good information!

The store manager at ALBERTSONS once told me that they did not make much on sugar.
    Many years ago I heard at a California Bee Convention that the price of sugar and the price of honey was separated.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie

I bought a 50# bag this weekend at Sams in Paducah, KY it was $23.00 or $ .46 / lb.

I'm going to look around at Aldi and the like to see if it's any cheaper.

Tim

Costco Wholesale Washington

C&H Powered Sugar 50 Lb 26.39 (.528pp)

C&H Granulated Sugar 25 Lb 12.25 (.49pp)

I generally buy my sugar from SAM'S CLUB, 50# bags for $22.79 (that around 46 cents a pound). I haven't seen a price increase for some time. I'll buy a dozen bags at a time.

There have been times I've bought the 4-lb bags on sale for $.99 at our local grocery. Often there is a limit of how many I can buy, but if not, and I fill the cart, then I have to deal with the cute high school girl who giggles, "Making a lot of Kool-aid?"

I just smile back and say, "Yeah. Vacation Bible School." Then murmer, "You wouldn't understand." She usually takes my word for how many bags are in the cart rather than bother with taking all of them out and scanning each one individually. I frequently find check out clerks who need to repeatedly scan the one bag 100 times rather than find the "quantity" key on the computer after scanning one bag.

The other downside to filling a shopping cart in a very public store are those people who say, "Buying all that sugar to make honey?"

That's not the rumor I need spread around town by ignorant people who think my honey is nothing more than converted sugar syrup. I usually do this sugar shopping late at night when all the nosy people are home watching the news. It's a 24-hour store, thankfully.

As for mixing, I bought one of those barrel heaters that wraps around the bottom of a 55-gallon corn syrup drum. I've done the turkey boiler and got tired of refilling the propane tank. I've done the large pot on a wood fire, but finally broke down and bought the electric heater. This heater was purchased at Grainger for around $300 with shipping. I bought the largest wattage for the most efficient heating. There are cheaper models.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5LY37

(or search www.grainger.com for cheaper, lower powered models)

I pour five, five-gallon buckets of water (25 gallons total) then plug the heater in and let it warm up for four to five hours (with the lid on the drum to prevent evaporation).

When I return, I'll pour my sugar into a five-gallon bucket (my "measuring cup") and add ten of them to the hot water. I got a paint mixer-stir gizmo for my electric drill (for five-gallon buckets of paint) and give it a good stir for about ten minutes. Then I put the lid back on the drum and generally let the heater work for another two hours. I unplug it and let the syrup cool, again with the lid on. I may add some megabee protein supplement to this mix depending on the time of year and stir it in at this point.

Yes, there is some degree of undissolved sugar that settles, but it's not much.

I went to my farm supply store and bought a drum pump. It fits on the 2" bung hole and I can pump the syrup into jars or buckets.

Yeah, it costs more, but I find with the success of my bee operation, I have more money than time and I need to manage my time more closely and more efficiently.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Costco Redding.Bought a pallet last week :thats 50 50lbs bags @ $ 20.49 each (around .41 per lbs). They are raising the price $1.30 per bag this week.

So you get 25 gallons of water and 50 gallons of sugar, in a 55 gallon drum? ?????????

Not if you add them too quickly!

http://www.slate.com/id/2225289/?yahoo=y

what do you make of this??

G3

I got this today:
    http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-20...9.archive.html
    CATCH THE BUZZ - SUGAR AT 28 YEAR HIGH PRICE
    Ernie
    Ernie

I like how it said at the last that the candy and icecream makers will be the ones hurting, haha I guess thay are not going to raise their prices eh! WE all know who pays for it in the end.

Glad I got a little something for my sweet tooth!!

G3

Whenever I go to Sams or Costco, all they have is 25 lb bags. $.49 per pound this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    So you get 25 gallons of water and 50 gallons of sugar, in a 55 gallon drum? ?????????
    Yes. The sugar is added one bucket at a time and I give it a cursory stir between buckets. I set this measurement to fill a drum to make the maximum amount.

In rough numbers, 25 gallons (at 8 lbs per gallon) comes in at 200 pounds. Ten buckets of dry sugar weighs (at 40 lbs. each) 400 pounds. 600 total pounds of water and dissolved sugar comes out to 50 gallons (at 12 lbs per gallon of syrup).

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I have found my rock bottom price. FredMeyer has 25 lb bag of there private label sugar for 12.79-1.28 (10%)= .46lb. My son gets an employee discount of 10%. I dont think I can beat this. It saves me a whole .03lb from costco.

50 lb bag at Sams 21.40 this weekend,0.43 per lb. Most of the time they have 100-200 bags, Sat I got the last 10 they had out.

Yeah, same price at the Sam's in Beaumont, TX

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast