Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default large scale requeening

I have heard that some large operators are using queen cells in the upper supers to requeen during the honey flow. I have produced more queen cells then I have mating nucs to put them in. Does this work and who has done this? I would like to requeen all my old queens that are starting to slow down this way.

I've not done it myself. I've read that G. M. Doolittle did it in the late 1800's with great success. I've read in the forums here where a person has done this with great success. If I reach a point where I need to requeen, this is what I am going to try. If you do try this method of requeening yourself, I would appreciate feed back from you on the results. Best of luck!
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Ive done it like that and learned it from two commercial operators here. IT works great.
    Columbia City, Indiana

If you do decide to requeen with cells in the supers...be sure there is a flow on. The success rate will be much higher.

Do you have to kill the old queen first or does the virgin queen do it? should you put more than one queen cell in each hive to insure sucess?

Joan

Supers on and a honey flow.... WHAT'S THAT ???

What I do is give them a large dose of 95% formic and come back in three days and put cells in.

Default using queen cells in the upper supers to requeen during the honey flow.

I have used Cordovan ripe queen cells to genetically mark the re-queening of a friends 27 "hot" hives and it works1

Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default Forced supercedure.

Forced supercedure is the term used in the bee literature/books.
    Ernie
    Ernie

Default Supers on and a honey flow

You know!
    It's when the bees are drawing out foundation and you can see the whitening of the combs.
    Ernie
    Ernie

Thank you for the feedback. I will try to do 150 hives this way and see how they do. I do like the formic acid idea but I do not think we would have the weather window to do that. What time do you apply it Keith?

just yesterday this topic came up in a conversation i had with another beek. one of the things that was said is that a virgin can still bend and so has an advantage over the existing laying queen.
    all that is gold does not glitter

I've done this alot, and it seems to work most of the time. Works great on really hot hives, no need to look for the old queen.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Default The Method

I have heard described calls for inserting a cell in the top super while honeyflow still on. Also much better results if a cell protector is used, protecting the sides of the cell but allowing the virgin to emerge throgh the tip. Very little time involved.

Ya, cell protect those cells,
    keep them from being chewed
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Disclaimer: I personally do not know what I am talking about.

That being said, I attended a queen rearing seminar put by Larry Conner earlier this year. He said that some commercial operations use queen cells to requeen. They did not bother to find and kill the old queen. Just stuck a queen cell in during the flow. He said they got about 80% acceptance.

Neil

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rainesridgefarm View Post
    What time do you apply it Keith?
    RRF, 80's is a good temp, this way you don't have too worry about cell protectors because there is no queen in the hive.

P.S good for mite too.

Keith , what kind of dose do you give them and how is it applied? We can get formic at 85% here not 95%. Tricky stuff I imagine, kill queens and not brood.

Jean-Marcd

what time do you put it on? Just before the honey flow, then super for the flow, then put in Queen cells..... I am sure the timing will be different depending on what part of the country you are in and what you are managing your hives for.

I have used it for the last 5 years....USUALLY works great....80%. However about 4 weeks ago I put in 230 cells to requeen at begining of locust flows. Well It rained the whole flow for the second straight year. I ended up with about less than 25% take and 25% queenless as she couldnt get mated. Still trying to straighten it out! If flow is on AND MONSOON doesnt set in it works....if MONSOON sets in you have a BIG MESS!
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 06-08-2009 at 04:26 AM.

Big mess indeed especially when you had a good queen to start with albeit older. What to do? Changing 1 queen at a time is so slow and does not guarantee success.

Jean-Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast