Thread: Hello from Ohio

Default Hello from Ohio

Hello All! I am new to beekeeping myself but have been around my grandfather's bees for many years. We have 15 acres (about 10 still wooded with a pond) at the edge of the Hocking Hills outside Bremen, Ohio (SE of Lancaster). Our mini farm includes turkeys, geese, chickens, ducks, dairy goats, cats, dogs etc. I installed my deep nuc a week ago in my Bee Max hive and am going to do my first inspection tomorrow. I was thrilled when i found that there was an apiary only 7 miles from us (Ohio Homestead). I liked the idea of short travel time and bees that are already accustom to the climate and food sources in this area. They offer over wintered queens & brood that are a mix of several breeds. Our property also came with a built in day lilly business of about 1200 plants so hopefully this will be a happy home for my hive.

Phil

Default Re: Hello from Ohio

Hello Phil and welcome. My ex was from New Lex which is to the east of you and Lancaster to the west. I went to college West of you as well. Two of my daughters were just there visiting.

Again, welcome to the forum.
    Ed
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

i would love to come check out those beemax hives some time. i considered getting them.

Phil, You do know that the new guy has the summer get together?

Sorry, it's the law. It's an unwritten law, but it's the law, nonetheless.
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Eaglerock, I did some work for the New Lex HS so i know that area a little. We'll have to figure out something for a summer get together, just stocked the pond with 100 Bluegill and 100 Catfish but going to be a couple years before they worth catching

11x, let me know sometime you would like to stop by. I actually got caught in a really nasty rainstorm on my motorcycle a couple of weeks ago in Nelsonville. The Bee Max seems to be working fine for now, I think the real test will be this winter. I have actually had the hives about 2 years, originally bought to relocate a "wild" hive over at our family farm in Ashville, but decided they were doing so well I would leave them be. They have actually been in the same place for about 6 years or so and since they seemed to get through the colony collapse unharmed it was better to let them stay strong where they are. I think they are probably one of my grandfather's old hives that just stuck around the farm after he died ( i was living in NM a the time and by the time i moved back his hives had collapsed).