Default Supering topbar hive ?

this is my first year playing with a top bar hive, It has an observation window in it. Its 48 inches long kenya type, they have about 6 frames left to fill, none of the solid honey combs are capped. The blackberry flow is just starting now, the frames wont fit in any other hive, and they are going to be all full in about a week. I was thinking about removing a frame, putting a super on top and reworking a roof set up.

Unless the cap real quick, I'm stuck.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

I know of a couple of people that super their top bars...I would imagine it would be pretty easy but I really have no idea what Im talking about. I think if I could get my TBH to get going I would think about it but they are both really struggling right now...

I know that they cap honey at a moisture level of 15-20%...maybe you can figure out a way to lessen the humidity in the hive...?

fairly common. Space several bars at a 3/8 gap and set your super above that..... Or,.,, Harvest some honey!

Make sure you legs/base will handle the extra.... did it once on soft ground and had a bit of leg fade...

I would harvest honey but of course its not capped, maybe they will cap some by this weekend. I'll have to try a super on top and cut some wood for a temp roof. They will be bringing in honey heavy for the next couple of weeks if the weather stays good.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Lucky dog... mid june here and still feeding.... no honey flow to speak of... way to much rain..... almost every day.

If you spread your bars just a bit to allow a bit more air flow it will speed the honey drying... about the thickness of a nickle.... if they are already drawn they won't burr comb it up. or go ahead and make it 3/8 and put on a super... that will increase airflow also.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 06-11-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quoting