Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Selling Honey Roadside

Quote Originally Posted by Bluidshay View Post
    My town hall told me I could keep bees but I needed a food permit to sell honey. I have since been told (not by town officials though) that that is untrue...one more thing I have to research. Definitely do research on it.
    When I checked our town hall here said no permit needed to keep and no food permit needed for selling, then wished us luck!.

I live in an unincorprated area just outside of a more suburban area. There a lot of people selling corn and tomatos from roadside stands. One spot in particular is a large gravel pull-off right on a main road less than 1/2 mile from my house. Lots of SUV traffic on the weekends (yuppy soccer moms with lots of money). There is uasually a road side stand there in the day time and sheriff patrol parked in the evenings. One day I stopped and asked the deputy what he thought about the produce sellers and if it was OK to sell honey. He said it was absolutely no problem at all. I plan on setting up shop later this fall when the produce season winds down.

Now I know a lot of you are going to say (or at least think) that the sheriff deputy has no say so over food regulations. But he is the guy that I fear most because he patrols the area and has the capacity to inflict the most damage to my operation (throw me in jail). If he dont care, I dont care. IF a random food inspector happens to drive by, happens to stop, and happens to tell me I cant sell honey on the side of the road, I will deal with that if it happens to happen. It's not like the food inspector is going to put the cuffs on me.

Of course I live in Kansas and YMMV.

Nabber, why wait till the produce is over? The people that stop to buy produce is is very ones that will buy honey. They are looking for local, fresh, and friendly producers.
    Peaches
    The Beekeepers Friend

I thought about that, but I dont want to start a turf war over a prime patch of gravel (another thing to worry about far more than the health dept. - a PO'ed farmer). Of course selling corn/tomatos and honey at the same location would probably increase sales for both people. I guess I could talk to the guys that are normally camped out there.

There you go. Now that's using the ol' noggin'. You could sweeten the relations with a little honey too. That always gets good results.
    Peaches
    The Beekeepers Friend