Hybrid View

Default large scale requeening

I have heard that some large operators are using queen cells in the upper supers to requeen during the honey flow. I have produced more queen cells then I have mating nucs to put them in. Does this work and who has done this? I would like to requeen all my old queens that are starting to slow down this way.

I've not done it myself. I've read that G. M. Doolittle did it in the late 1800's with great success. I've read in the forums here where a person has done this with great success. If I reach a point where I need to requeen, this is what I am going to try. If you do try this method of requeening yourself, I would appreciate feed back from you on the results. Best of luck!
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Ive done it like that and learned it from two commercial operators here. IT works great.
    Columbia City, Indiana

If you do decide to requeen with cells in the supers...be sure there is a flow on. The success rate will be much higher.

Do you have to kill the old queen first or does the virgin queen do it? should you put more than one queen cell in each hive to insure sucess?

Joan

Supers on and a honey flow.... WHAT'S THAT ???

What I do is give them a large dose of 95% formic and come back in three days and put cells in.