Hybrid View

Default Oversized bee hives ??

Recently, a friend of mine told me of a fishing trip to Montana. He said that he had seen some really big bee hives out in some of the really big fields of grain (he thought they were hops fields). He thought that the "hives" might have been approximately 8-foot cubes. They were off-loaded from trucks and seemed to be placed randomly in the fields. I felt that he had seen something else and thought they were beehives (he said they were white, with x'es and o'es painted on their sides). Either he saw something, or he was pulling my leg, or, as a fisherman, he was stretching the numbers.

I contacted another friend of mine in Bigfork, Mt., who contacted his son-in-law, who said: "yes, a while back he had seen them, lots of them".

I searched the web for all types of subjects: "commercial beekeepers", "big bee hives", etc., but thus far, the only suggestion I've received is that they may have been four hives on pallets. My friend said that would not be big enough.

I feel that if these "large hives" have anything to do with bees, then the commercial people would know about them. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Charlie

Default Big Bees in Big Sky

Could have been leafcutter bees put out to pollinate or fill the boards.

Also there is this rather bizarre outfit which calls itself APIS, INC., that has there bees in these big plywood enclosures, mostly designed to prevent any inspection. Maybe they were up there getting ready for next year.

Thumbs Up The love bees

If they were big white boxes, with x'es and o's. They call them the love bees.

No really! They get them into oversize crates for the winter.

I would have to see them first to be forsure.

What was they fishing for? What kind of bait will I need. I do like my fishing, and bees.

Hope it's not cold. I hate being cold.

Default Fishing in Montana

Probably Catfish Crappie and Carp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    Could have been leafcutter bees put out to pollinate or fill the boards.

Also there is this rather bizarre outfit which calls itself APIS, INC., that has there bees in these big plywood enclosures, mostly designed to prevent any inspection. Maybe they were up there getting ready for next year.
    Tom,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've searched quite a bit for both leafcutter and Apis, Inc., and haven't found any related leads. Do you have any more info on "these big plywood enclosures" (size, where used, photos)?
    Thanks, Charlie

Default Apis, Inc.

Hasn't anybody else here seen these? A number of years ago they announced the formation of their company in the ABJ, like 1/4 page ad, for several months. Seems like it was run by a retired AF Colonel. They built plywood cubes that look 4'x4', with a LOCKING cover on top, PADLOCKED! There are several postings warning of dire consequences if you so much as touch the box. There are holes in the sides where a few bees come and go halfheartedly. The ones I saw in an almond orchard also had pre printed plastic tags zip tied to a tree for every drop, identifying the owner and again warning of severe consequences if they are moved or disturbed in any way.

Is your friend sure he wasn't just seeing 6 way pallets? From a distance they might have looked like one big hive...
    Sheri

When you say "6-way pallets" does this mean 3 by 3 hives or 6 by 6 hives? As you might recognize, I'm not really familiar with the methods and equipment of the commercial pollination industry.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 06-05-2009 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quoting

Last edited by pzbeez; 06-03-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: wrong thread