Default new tbh beekeeper- tips please!

Hey, I'm 16, and am completely and totally bee- crazy. I am really excited to start beekeeping, but, as far as I am aware of, I am the only tbh beekeeper in my area (if I am wrong, please correct me). I was planning on starting with the standard boxes, but then I read the Barefoot Beekeeper from biobees.com, and decided that I would do Tbh. Then I read The Fruitless Fall, and that really clinched it for me. So I got my dad to help me build a hive and I called a local beekeeper to help me get some bees, and here I am, my brand new bees buzzing happily in their new hive. Tell me, am I ever going to stop buzzing with happiness myself every time I hear them? Honestly, I have probably never been so excited- and I'm looking forward to a life-long passion. (then again, i haven't been stung yet )

I've read everything i can get my hands on relating to tbh beekeeping (and beekeeping in general), but I'd really like some advice from experienced tbh (and not tbh) beekeepers. You know, like tried and tested tricks and common mistakes that newbies (me) will most likely make. One more thing- I'm pretty sure I have Italian Honey Bees- they are good to start out with, right? I mean, not that I can change it now, I'd just like to know.

Thanks!
    Last edited by RollaBee; 04-22-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Welcome rolla! I'm sure you will find all the answers you want and then some down in the TBH Forum. Just job in there and ask away!

http://beesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=254
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

>One more thing- I'm pretty sure I have Italian Honey Bees- they are good to start out with, right?

They are fine as are Carniolans and Russians and Caucasians...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesraces.htm
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

another great source for TBH beekeepers is BioBees...they have ebooks, videos and a forum just like this one. Welcome, btw...I am a new TBH beekeeper in california as well...feel free to PM me any time

Default howdy

my kids and i fired-up just like you, and it feels great. beekeeping is the coolest thing ever. love those bees!

we're in el dorado hills, just east of sacramento. our new top bar hive has been rolling along for over 3 weeks now, and the bees act like they're in heaven. like pleasanton, everything is in bloom here today.

all the best fellow norcal-er.

Default Thanks for the Welcome everyone!

thanks for the advice and greetings, everyone! It's good to have a resource like Beesource to help out a newbee!