Thread: Drone Removal

Default Drone Removal

I'm a new beek. I have 1 hive that I inherited from my father who recently passed away, and one captured swarm from that hive that seems to be doing well. Lately I've noticed the drones from the original hive being chased out by workers, sometimes as many as two or three workers on one drone. Everything I've read says that it's not unusual for drones to be evicted around the end of summer or early fall. Is it a bad sign that drones are being chased away at this time of year? I appreciate any input.

As usual, others here know far better than I, but I'll take a stab at it.

Do you have a good nectar flow going on now? If not, the workers might evict the drones to conserve resources.

first welcome!
    second I'm very sorry for your loss.
    third it could be the the flow has shut down in your area accounting for the drone eviction. drones tend to drift to hives other than their own. if the flow has shut down the guard bees have more time to sniff each bee that tries to come into the hive and will identify that that drone doesn't belong. so they kick his butt out.

Thanks for the input, I'm not sure what the honey flow situation is right now. There are plenty of bees on the dutch clover around the house and the original hive had several frames of partially uncapped honey on sunday, but I do know that my captured swarm hive is taking in about a pint of 1:1 a day.