Default Picture of my entrance

This picture was taken at 5am with a camera phone so sorry about the quality, as you can see they are clustered up around the entrance, I would guess the temp at about 58 degrees. The bottom is open (6"X36") and they have drawn out 12 of 20 top bars. They dont cluster like this during the day or at least not that I have seen. I would guess the cluster is about 1 1/2 inches deep, and about 5" high by 5" wide. Just curious if this is normal ?

Do you have a follower board in the hive? Generally they cluster when they are out of space or are overly hot. Being that it's not terribly hot, I'd guess they are a little cramped.

Matt

Not sure they could be feeling cramped, there are currently 20 bars installed and they have only drawn out 12, so they have room to expand. I do have a follower installed and I am thinking about moving it back just enough to increase air flow through the hive.

I've heard that some bees like to cluster in the morning before the foragers take off. I never looked at my hives that early.

See: http://www.biobees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3496