Thread: Swarm practice

Default Swarm practice

This afternoon at 3 PM a huge number of bees came out of the hive on an overcast day with predictions of thunderstorms. Most of them formed a beard from the entrance to the telescoping cover. This hive has 2 brood cambers and 1 shallow. Another huge number were flying around overhead. I put a hive with some drawn comb nearby hoping they settle there, but at 4 PM they all went back into their own hive. The air temperature was about 67 degrees.

Do you think this is a dress rehearsal for a soon to be swarm?
    I went to the health food store to buy some Lemon Grass oil and they sold me Lemon Balm saying this is the same thing. Would you agree?

This probaly was a happy flight. Young bees taking an orientation flight.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

lemon balm is not the same thing.. it is a plant member of the mint family. leaves. stems that are squarish.. lemon grass oil is just that oil from lemon grass.. different chemical makeup.get the lemon grass oil that will work better. i dont think the health food store people understand what you need it for or really know why... it might smell the same and has the same effect for aroma therapy. but not for.. bee bait lol..
    Smart man knows that the road is a one way street..
    Wise man looks both ways anyhow.......

I don't think this was a happy flight!! I watch that happen every day where many of them come out and circle around then go back in. This was a mega number of bees.

Where would I get some lemon grass oil?

if you need it fast.. find a retailer that sells now foods generally they also have now oils.. that is what i geta good quality. im not sure what zip in erie your in but i picked the middle one then did a find in 70 miles store finder. you can call them and see if anyone has it. if you dont mind waiting. i know there are people that sell it on ebay.. i do not know how good the oil is.. but it must be ok as i rarely see any complaints..

http://www.nowfoods.com/Products/Pro...ersonal%20Care

FEEL-RITE HEALTH FOOD SHOPPERS (251 - 500 Items) 4.05 mile(s)
    6000 S. PARK AVENUE
    HAMBURG, NY 14075
    716-649-6694
    Map

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FEEL-RITE HEALTH FOOD SHOPPERS (101 - 250 Items) 4.95 mile(s)
    3521 SENECA ST
    W.SENECA, NY 14224
    716-675-6620
    Map

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARLENE & PHIL'S VIT' & HERBS (251 - 500 Items) 9.87 mile(s)
    5855 TRANSIT ROAD
    DEPEW, NY 14043
    716-683-0256
    Map

FEEL-RITE NAT & GOURMET (251 - 500 Items) 11.23 mile(s)
    2141 DELAWARE AVENUE
    BUFFALO, NY 14216
    716-837-7661
    Map

FEEL-RITE HEALTH FOODS #3 (251 - 500 Items) 12.73 mile(s)
    3912 MAPLE ROAD.
    AMHURST, NY 14226
    716-834-3385
    Map | Contact

COUNTRY CUPBOARD (101 - 250 Items) 13.38 mile(s)
    187 MAIN STREET
    EAST AURORA, NY 14052
    716-652-9115
    Map

FEEL-RITE HEALTH FOOD SHOPPERS (251 - 500 Items) 14.28 mile(s)
    5425 TRANSIT ROAD.
    WILLIAMSVILLE, NY 14221
    716-636-1000
    Map

PINE PHARMACY (101 - 250 Items) 14.28 mile(s)
    5110 MAIN ST SUITE 101
    WILLIAMSVILLE, NY 14221
    716-332-2288
    Map | Contact

OLIVE BRANCH (101 - 250 Items) 35.09 mile(s)
    306 ELLICOTT ST
    BATAVIA, NY 14020
    585-344-0722
    Map

WILDFLOWER NATURAL FOODS (251 - 500 Items) 37.11 mile(s)
    11398 MAPLE RIDGE RD
    MEDINA, NY 14103
    716-798-0555
    Map

LAKEWOOD APOTHECARY & NATURAL H.C. (101 - 250 Items) 54.02 mile(s)
    130 CHAUTAUGUA AVE
    LAKEWOOD, NY 14750
    716-763-0016
    Map

LORI'S NATURAL FOODS CTR INC (101 - 250 Items) 63.70 mile(s)
    900 JEFFERSON ROAD
    ROCHESTER, NY 14623
    585-424-2323
    Map | Contact

H & W ZIMBRICH INC DBA NATURAL FOODS (101 - 250 Items) 63.77 mile(s)
    1135 LONG POND RD
    ROCHESTER, NY 14626
    716-225-3460
    Map

ABUNDANCE CO-OP MARKET (20 - 50 Items) 67.31 mile(s)
    62 MARSHALL ST.
    ROCHESTER, NY 14607
    585-454-2667
    Map | Contact

Smart man knows that the road is a one way street..
    Wise man looks both ways anyhow.......

That happened to me and it turns out the queen could not fly. The bees finally got her out, but she was on the ground. I picked her up and split the hive. that way, they think they have already swarmed. It worked.
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

Beekeeperlady..........thanks for the addresses. I'm not sure how the "erie" got in there. I'm really north of buffalo. I called and the closest one and they have LGO!!! I'm on my way.

Parke County Queen............I hope that is just what happens here. I'll be back from the store shortly and checking on the girls...

Thanks to both of you............Ed

That happened to me and it turns out the queen could not fly. The bees finally got her out, but she was on the ground. I picked her up and split the hive. that way, they think they have already swarmed. It worked.
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

Well, yesterday I did notice a softball size mass of bees under the landing board. Now I wonder if the queen was in that mass? I didn't think to look. I did see them all crawl back into the hive so I didn't swarm yesterday.

I just came in from opening up the hive and found the shallow super filled and capped. I put a new shallow of foundation on top of the 2 broods and then a bee "trap or excluder" then the filled shallow. The nights have been cool here so they will probably evacuate in one day. I'll spin out the honey and place that shallow back on the hive. That should give them room for now. Lifting the hive from the back says they have plenty more honey stored in the broods.

If they do swarm I'll be ready. Thanks everyone........Ed

Default last chapter

Well I just got in from successfully capturing a swarm. Luckily they landed in a lilac bush in my neighbors yard. Maybe they do practice!! Thanks to all again.