Default Max the Honey - no wintering of bees

Put in six 3lb packages 25 days ago. I'm a new beekeeper and these are my first hives.

I know that in my area it is not normal for a new package of bees to produce enough honey for the beekeeper to harvest. I have heard that some commercial beekeepers in this type of climate will not winter their bees but go for a max honey extract.

I am thinking of doing this with one colony. As I need to show my family (mostly wife) that my bees actually make honey. And then perhaps I can combine this colony with a weaker one and winter the bees that way.

Anybody have any tips on how this is done?

I would think that you would have to divide the bees from the 1 hive equally with the other 5 hives. If these are Italians, they require a large amount of honey reserve. So putting all of the bees in 1 hive one probably cause you to loose a second hive due to starvation (unless you fed them).

Don't know where you live but if in the South, you probably could feed the 1 hive 2:1 SW starting in Oct and they would make enough honey reserves for the winter. If not, you could continue to feed them also throughout the winter using an top feeder (covered).
    De Colores,
    Ken

The guy in your area that doesn't winter his bees is "the honey householder" here on the forum. but I belive he starts much earler in the year than you have started. and he uses all drawn out comb so as to give his bees a huge head start. you might PM him for advice, his name is Ron

I guess the question is if you want to be a beekeeper or a beekiller. I like being a beekeeper.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

you could combine them, but real truth is that with six hives you should get some surplus before the end of the year, probably only a few pounds but I would bet at lest 2 of teh hives get started in a super..... be patient..... let them fill the hives and put on a super as late as mid july.......

I put supers on 2 hives I started about 45 days ago (4-18) they have already filled 2 deeps....... so some do explode....