Default bees grouping on front of box

my girls are grouping on the out side of the entrance on the wall. about two fist full. no filled queen cells on frames. are they just hot it was in mid 90's here today or are they packing their bags.
    james

James, I'm still learning myself, but I've had a deep super with bees covering the outside and no problems. What I gathered from reading and on this forum is they were "sitting on the front porch cooling off". In one situation, they had filled the supers and there was no where to put more honey - a problem I immediately fixed!

yea i was thinking the same thing. i have a new super on them they have not started to work it yet.
    thanks
    james

I had the same thing today. It was hot here and 2 of my hives from a split that are pretty much identical in every way except I have a SBB on 1 and not the other. The 1 without the SBB had bees on the front of the deep. This pretty much tells me I need them on all my hives.

They are doing what is called Bearding. Not uncommon. Sometimes they like the conditions outside rather than inside heat, humidity, ect...
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

you know the only hive i dont have a sbb on is that one. guess what i am doing in the morning.
    thanks
    james

Quote Originally Posted by jsharp777 View Post
    you know the only hive i dont have a sbb on is that one. guess what i am doing in the morning.
    thanks
    james
    You might also consider a vent box over the inner cover - basically a super with some screened holes in it. That's what I use. Or, just crack the lid.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie