Default Eastern Milk Snake

I saw today under a hive a little snake which I identified latter as a Eastern Milk Snake.
    I don't know much about snakes and I don't know if they are venomous.
    Any feed back from people that know these snakes will be appreciated.

Thanks Gilman

Bees were working very well today after some rainy days. In some yards they had fill 2+ suppers.

Default not poisonous

milk snakes are non poisonous.. they wont bother your bees. will eat mice and other small critters.. and are great to have around. some pet stores even sell them..
    regular milk snakes look liek its poisonous coral snake cousin.. the old addage.. red to yellow.. kill a fello .. red to black.. friend of jack. the eastern milk snakes are pretty..
    Smart man knows that the road is a one way street..
    Wise man looks both ways anyhow.......

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeperlady View Post
    milk snakes are non poisonous.. they wont bother your bees. will eat mice and other small critters.. and are great to have around. some pet stores even sell them..
    regular milk snakes look liek its poisonous coral snake cousin.. the old addage.. red to yellow.. kill a fello .. red to black.. friend of jack. the eastern milk snakes are pretty..
    Thanks, snakes are not my area and I used to really fear them. Now I do respect them and live them alone but still want to know what are their potentials.
    Few years back I had a 1/2 hour stand off with a hog nose snake that acted like a cobra next to a hive that freaked me out. Latter I found out that they are harmless.
    Thanks again Gilman

It's amazing how nonpoisonous snakes try and act like they have some fangs and juice. I've had garter snakes flatten their head to imitate a pit viper and twitch their tails in dried leaves to imitate a rattle. They strike well also. I have taken great pains to teach my kids how to id a poisonous vs nonpoisonous from a distance. My wife won't be in the same county with anything that is reptilian. They are taught to leave them alone if they leave us alone. Problem is that copperheads and cottonmouths never seem to stay away. Our psyco cat kills only copperheads and drags them up to the house for me. I've seen him ignore cottonmouths, rattlers and nonpoisonous.

As others have pointed out - harmless and very beneficial. I used to catch and keep all kinds of snakes as a kid growing up in New Jersey. Most tame down and like to be in contact with human skin - nice hot water bottle. Used to freak out my mother, until she learned they are not 'slimy'. After feeding them and plumping them up, I'd release back where I found them.

Whenever I see snakes, I go out of my way not to harm them.

Now, if I had Western Diamondbacks in my yard......

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

use to cruze timber an cruze a big tract down in eastern nc along the intercostal waterway an walked up on a lim bout the size of the fat end of baseball bat spanin the loggin path. well i walked on up an it was a cainbrake rattler.that machette i was totein didnt give me confort.
    i started thinkin bout takein up windshield cruzein down yonder.
    round here if there pupils is round they aint poisionous if they slit they is.

Quote Originally Posted by be lote View Post
    round here if there pupils is round they aint poisionous if they slit they is.
    We say the same thing around here about politicians, with a slight variation:

"If their pupils is round they're poisonous if they slit they is."

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

Find yourself a coral snake and show me his slit pupils.......theirs are as round as the moon....they are also the exception, not the rule.....