Thread: burr comb mess

Default burr comb mess

I went out to play in the hives today, it's been long overdue (about 2 1/2 weeks due to work family and weather. I have 2 hives that had a mess of burr comb. one was a new package tis year that I expected to have a bunch, the other was a swarm I caught a while back and put in mediums (one drawn one new foundation). The swarm had burr comb with alot of capped honey in it (tastes great!) but made a real mess cutting it out.
    Antone else having this problem? what can you do to minumize burr comb formation?

The general cause is spacing the frames apart (they should be tightly together), or bad space between the boxes, or thin top bars (any of the plastic frames have thin top bars) or plastic that they don't want to draw on. Sometimes you have everything right and they still mess it up.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#messedupcomb
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

"in the hives today, it's been long overdue"
    "swarm I caught a while back and put in mediums [one drawn one new foundation]."

It doesn't sound like your hives have enough room to grow and store nectar for this time of year in the Midwest. Only two mediums? Burr comb between the boxes filled with a lot of honey indicates a need for more supers.

I've got the same problem in one of my hives - building lots of bridge comb between the boxes. I went and measured the clearances again just to be sure. It's dead on. Sometimes bees just gotta be bees I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    .....or thin top bars (any of the plastic frames have thin top bars)......
    I just measured some frames yesterday as part of my own project with burr comb. Compared my Pierco plastic frames to some old wooden frames that came in the original nuc I started with in 1996 (yes, I keep stuff like that). The frames were virtually identical in shape and size. I did not see any difference in the top frames - same thickness.

Maybe they are different with other manufacturers, but with the Pierco, at least, they appear to be the same.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

I haven't seen any issues with plastic frames either. I'm using the mann lake small cell, and all the clearances measure out perfectly. Add to that the 5 other hives that are not having any burr comb issues, and I'm just marking it up to weird bees. I may try and shave 1/16" - 1/8" off a box and get it closer to 1/4" and see if that helps any just for experimentation sake.